SOLO MICRO BOOTLEGGER

Greetings from sunny SE Queensland, Australia.

With a couple of past CLC designs having been completed a few years ago - Chesapeake 17 and Shearwater 17 - I have just ordered plans for the strip-plank solo MicroBootleger 14'.   I realise that the construction will be little more challenging than my two previous S&G boats, but am confident that I can do a satisfactory job, having plenty of post-retirement time on my hands to work slowly and methodically. 

The choice of Bootlegger is dictated to some extent by my ageing hip, knee, and ankle joints, which make climbing in and out of confined spaces quite tricky, so the open cockpit should overcome this.   I also like the style and design of this craft, which for recreational paddling should handle conditions in the nearby sheltered Moreton Bay quite adequately.   

I'd be grateful to hear any tips, hints, or experiences from others who may have built this craft. 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: SOLO MICRO BOOTLEGGER

The boat attracts me for the same reasons, plus it's beautiful.  

I could no longer get into my Cheseapeke 16 which I built maybe 25 years ago.  Last month I cut out the deck to make a 20" x 44" cockpit and made a new coaming of ash strips and added a cushy seat from Amazon.

It's a completely different boat - easy to get in and out and the seat supports my back so paddling for an hour or two is comfortable.

Going to do the same thing to my wife's C 16 LT and maybe retrofit a stripped deck.

After that I may just start a MicroBootlegger Sport.  Very tempting...

Gidday Lawrence

We leave in Central qld so refreshing to hear someone is close by.  I only today did the glass and fill coat on the hull of my microBootlegger sport. Had some issues with stain bleed in the epoxy (posted issue on this forum just now)

Would be handy to have a fellow builder to chat too as no one up here has a clue on what I'm doing. If interested, how do we exchange contact details

regards Hamilton 

One comment about the microBootlegger Sport and cockpit access. I have built 2. Here's my wife in the first one...

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/strip-planked-kayaks/micro-bootlegger-sport-strip-planked-kayak-kit.html

On her boat  I went with just the oval cockpit opening and found it very easy to get in and out of even with a drysuit on. On my boat, the second one, I went with the keyhold cockpit. I found this to be a little snugger, especially as I age and become less nimble.

Dan

fI cut the thigh supports out of my keyhole cockpits. 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.