Matunuck

My son is building a matunuck surf kayak and has got to the stage of taping the hull to the top. It is difficult to align the top and bottom because of the curvature in the top. The first attempt (all taped up) was 20mm out. Pulled the tape off, readjusted and taped again. this time the alignment is ok however the bow kicks up a little on one side so presuming we have forced a slight twist in the hull while taping. Any advice gladly received.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Matunuck

The same thing happened to my boat, but I didn't realize it until the deck and hull were joined.

I don't really know how to deal with it except perhaps to tape it up again but this time adjust the alignment between deck and hull at the apex of the stern. I think that's where I went wrong.

If it makes you feel any better, my boat surfs just fine with a little twist, that part of the bow is out of the water most of the time.

Frank

RE: Matunuck

I had the same problem with alignment following the manual. After three tries, I decided to reverse the process and begin hull/deck alignment from the bow, rocking the halves very carefully, checking at the stern, then taping amidships. That process worked for me.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.