Paint over varnish?

I'm pretty much done with the building phase of my Shearwater, now on to finishing.  Since there are a few "oops" areas where my lack of craftsmanship might be apparent through varnish, they may end up needing to be hidden under paint.  My new guy question is, can I varnish an area and if I don't like the look, cover it with paint?  Also, some of my questionable areas are stained in "Oxblood" color - any problem in covering those with white paint?  I don't want to end up pink.

Thanks.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Paint over varnish?

Hi Airdog, 

you can paint over varnish.  its much more difficult to go the other way around.  so try varnish.  if you don't like it, just follow your paint's surface prep...which will probably involve some sanding....and paint.

on the stain, the stain should be on the wood and then you have glassed over it.  so there should be no stain that is not under epoxy/epoxy glass.  the epoxy forms a waterproof (and paint-proof) layer so there should be no interaction with your paint and the stain.  

that said, if you have a spot where you have accidently sanded through to the stained wood....you need to coat it with epoxy (or epoxy/glass) prior to any painting.

hope that helps

h

RE: Paint over varnish?

hspira,

It does help indeed.  I forgot about the stained wood being "sealed," that makes sense.

I appreciate your input.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.