Noisy Oarlocks

At various times, my brass oarlocks make noise while rowing. I occassionally wipe them down - they develop a black build-up. I also occassionally spay them and the holders with silican spray. Sometimes that quiets them down for a while, but not long.

I just noticed that they have also developed some wear-lines, sort of like gouges or ridges near the bottom, Definately no longer fully smoooth for the length of the oarlock post.

Any explanations as to why this is happening, and suggestions on how I can stop a) rhe noise and b) the wear?

Many thanks,

DaveJ_NH

Will post a photo when I can.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Noisy Oarlocks

Hi Dave, on my guideboat I usually coat them with the same wax that I use on the oar leathers, every few uses.It is a mixture of beeswax and olive oil, works great. As far as the scoring I would look for a burr or scratch on the inside of the bracket. Shaw and Tenny sells a mixture for the wax, not sure what they call it though.

Tom

Hi Dave, on my guideboat I usually coat them with the same wax that I use on the oar leathers, every few uses.It is a mixture of beeswax and olive oil, works great. As far as the scoring I would look for a burr or scratch on the inside of the bracket. Shaw and Tenny sells a mixture for the wax, not sure what they call it though.

Tom

Oops! That was supposed to be "spray" them with "silicone". Freudian slip?! 

Thanks for the suggestion Tom.

DaveJ

A real quick temporary fix I use is to dab some vaseline on them or wrap them with a round or two of electrical or duct tape.  The beeswax/olive oil fix though sounds like a winner.  Ought to try that.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.