Vinyl overlays

Has anyone attempted to do a custom vinyl overlay?  Any issues arise from it?  I was thinkning of cutting one out and laying directly on the wood before laying the fiberglass and epoxy?  Thanks for any advice.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Vinyl overlays

Epoxy doesn't play well with vinyl. Any overlays need to go on top, not underneath.

My experience is the same with varnish: it won't stick to vinyl long, if at all.

There have been posts here before about printing graphics on rice paper for placement underneath epoxy, in a manner similar to decoupage. The rice paper becomes almost transparent once saturated with epoxy, similar to what happens with fiberglass cloth.

Whatever inks are used to do the printing ought to be the permanent pigmented kind so your work will stand a chance of lasting longer once exposed to UV light during use.

Biggest hurdle is lack of a suitable white substrate upon which to print. In that the rice paper recommended tends to disappear once saturated, the inks used can only darken the appearance of the underlying plywood or wood strips.

Some high end printers can run white ink but whether these are compatible with epoxy I have no personal experience. If your own research can shed light on this I'm sure the info would be a welcome addition to this forum!!

I've used the vinyl custom stick-on boat names available here through CLC and many other sources on both paint and varnish. Always clean the area free of wax befoe applying. Stuck fine, never any problem unless directly/forcibly sratched across the vinyl, and that only creates a scratch, doesn't cause the whole decal to peel off.  (And boat numbers bought at the hardware and boat shop obviously stay in place well).  So, I'd think a vinly graphic would be fine.  But DEFINITELY not under glass or epoxy or varnish...

Alan,

I used the vinyl cut lettering from CLC over BrightSide paint on my Peeler Skiff in 2014. After years on a saltwater mooring, it still looks new. I'd check with them about what they can cut for you.

Cheers,

Dick

Thank you everyone. Duck Dowdell did you wax or variousness the vinyl at all?  Wife has a machine and can make almost any design I want. Just don't want it into peel or fade almost immediately. 

Thank you everyone. Duck Dowdell did you wax or variousness the vinyl at all?  Wife has a machine and can make almost any design I want. Just don't want it into peel or fade almost immediately. 

Alan,

No, I haven't covered the vinyl lettering with anything. It has been impervious to sun and saltwater. I do not know if there are different vinyl compositions. I bought the cut lettering from CLC. It still looks exactly as it did in the picture from 2014

Cheers,

Dick

I have made literally dozens of vinyl decals on my cutter.  They've been on my boats and on my Jeep for years.  If you use heavy duty, permanently adhesive automotive vinyl decal material, they will last as long as the boat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.