Oyster River Point and back.

Kayak: West River 180

7/12/09 2PM - 5pm aprox.

Winds: South West 4 - 8 knots

Seas: to one foot

Temp: 81F

Humidity: 24%

Total Distance: 10+ miles

This was a good day for a paddle.  I had tossed the idea around the last two days, but I'm glad I waited out the 
seas that were anything from 1 1/2' to over 2' with a 12' trough length.  I draw the line at 1 1/2 as the 

correctivestrokes end up sacrificing too much forward speed, to say nothing of the pain of continually digging the 

kayak out of a broach. Today was much better with good nothing really hitting a foot, and what did or went over a 

foot was so low in frequency it was never bothersome.  Like I said, this was a good day to paddle - great summer 

temps, low humidity  light winds and plenty of sunshine.  Great day to do beach cruising!!!

Been too long...

I should mention this is my first paddle in two years.  I was diagnosed with sleep apnea last fall and its been 

corrected since.  Anyone who even knows anyone who's got it - and worse still - untreated, knows just how 

debilitating it can be.Kayaking was utterly out of the question under those circumstances.  The goal when you have 

severe sleep apnea isnt to find extra curicular acvtivities  to do, but to even make it through the day at all. 

Shakey Start...

So I put myself in the kayak at the West Haven Boat Ramp and I'm immediately alarmed at my utter inability to keep 

the hull at rest in the light 6" chop I had launched into.  It pulled to the right , it pulled to the left - it 

never wanted to sit still.  It was like a kayak on caffeine.  Like I said it was alarming - I dont know how I ever 

enjoyed a ride inthis kayak ever with almost zero initial stabilty.  I paddled about a quarter mile from the ramp.  

IT was so bad I wondered about turning back and calling it a day.  It was that bad!!!

Deck Bag Demons...

As it turns out , my kayak doesnt like virtually one gallon of drinking water in the deck bag.  It added way too 

muchmomentum to the kayaks already twitchy behavior.  It abbreviated every pitch and yaw with a heave to port or 

straboardthat as mentioned was no way to paddle. The solution was to keep two of the three bottles between my legs 

on the keel line and only one bottle in the deck bag.  Wow what a difference. I was still uneasy but I cast off 

once again and headed onward!!

Sandy Point Preserve...

I'm basically kayaking the western shores of New Haven Harbor.  Picture an upside down martini glass and I am on 

the "left" side of the glass paddling southwest having just left the West Haven Boat Ramp. Despite the metro area 

of the city of new haven behind me, all that lay ahead is raw piping plover enviro to nice new englad homes on the 

water kind of thing. 

For now I am making my way along Sandy Point - this is the "raw" part where it is basically a peninsula of sand, 

slight dune, dune grass and low scrub. Underneath me as I plod along  its north shore is billowing stretches of sea 

grass.  All in all, its the minimal part of the route the rest is more developed and thats a shame - I can paddle 

miles of this kind of stuff.  Sign after sign stating something to the eefect of  "keep back this is piping plover 

territory" adorns the interior of the peninsula all strung together with longlong string and intermittent posts.  I 

love the saturation of sunlight on the bleached out sands and the sway of the dune grass in the breeze - this is 

all about salt water and the elements meeting dry land and I love it.  The only down side is the fisherman [which 

honestly i cant fault] keep me having to make a good 100 or so feet of clearance from the shore often.  This kind 

of thing makes me yern for a good downpour all day on a monday  - just for the solitude of it.

I round the peninsulas "sandy point and am heading back along the "left side of the martini glass heading 

southwest".  I' glad to see that the wind on the other side of the peninsula is about the same as the other side
, that isn't always the case at all...

Of Archery and Paddling...

By this point my deltoids - the muscles mostly comprising the shoulders, should have been doing their lactic acid 

burn by now but it was eerily "OK".  Thats odd - that never happens - the shoulders are the first thing to burn - 

its part of my warm upon any kayak trip - waking this muscles into action.  Not today though - and quite frankly? 

Not on the entire trip.   I gave it pause for thought s I paddled still shakey from not paddling for two years as I 

rounded the very sandy and  beachy Sandy Point. Archery - thats it!  Shooting up to 50 arrows a day at times 

conditioned my shoulders already - and for that matter - my back too!!  Like I'm telling you - my shoulders needed 

no break in period.  This is a first!  Wow - what an unexpected benefit of archery - its primo cross training!!!  

Who knew????

With the beautiful Sandy Point Peninsula behind me, I open up my shore cruise from a distance of 100' to about 200 

yards give or take.  I'm heaidng into the prime beach areas.  Anything with a lifeguard chair to me is prime.  What 

makes the need for the 200 yards however isnt the lifeguards - indeed, they dont seem to care about jetskis ramping 

up onto the sands of the beach even - but the long gettys and piers that abreviate the entire western shore of the 

harbor beaches.  To dip in and out is almost too nutty as they arent THAT far apart.

"Under The Boardwalk, down by the sea, on a blanket..."

The above line is from the music that greeted me as I made my way along one of West Havens most well known spot - a 

retro looking burger joint called CHICKS.  I love CHICKS.  They give parking to anyone who wants beach access and 

of course this also makes for a wonderful traffic flow through the doors of their business. Motorcycles are a major 

thing here too as it is a great stop off for them as well.  Roller bladers go skimming back and fourth across the 

street as do bicyclists and joggers.   The whole atmosphere of Chicks is just dynamite.  The beach isnt exactly 

"stellar" the sands are often silty and this clouds the water strongly at low tides, but you dont care so badly 

since everything else is going so strong in its favor.

I keep paddling by CHICKS listening to the song the DJ is putting out and wonder seriously how many people even 

KNOW what a real BOARDWALK is.  Floridians dont.  They make a sidewalk - concrete that goes on for miles and miles 

along their eastern seaboard flanked with some really really cool shops and eateries and art shows - it rocks.  But 

a concrete sidewalk doth not make a boardwalk.  I grew up by boardwalks in rockaway and coney island and other new 

york area metro beaches - they are made of wood boards and they are elevated above the sandy beach , behind them is 

the parking lot.  Underneath the boardwalk - when your feet are burning are the coolest sands on the planet - 

heavily striped with shadows and dark with cool air - under the boardwalk was a cool place to be.  Such as it was, 

my "boardwalk days" were when I was in the single digit ages... I wonder if they even let you under there anymore.
Other songs play but by that point they muffle away behind me.  Chicks was wise to face the speakers AWAY from the 

residential area I am swinging by now...

From here, the beaches all opened up.. roughly a dozen getties and piers break up a chain of sunny sandy beaches 

many with lifeguards and populated quite well this sunny sunday with people.  Chciks was actually a good kick off 

to the vistas that followed.  If I had my druthers, I'd have been 100 feet offshore, but it was practical in any 

sense. Much better on weekday rainydays. More surpring than the getties were how developed and long a lot of the 

piers were.  The 200 yards was often a necessity.  I always tried to give ample berth to the lines but even still, 

especially with a surfcaster with a 10' pole, i had to retreat farther out still.  Some of the most interesting 

part of the beaches was what broke them up = beside the piers and getties there were park like areas with benches 

and well layed out shrubbery aqnd trees.  I prefer the raw look of a preserve, but there they did well also.  I 

whiled away miles all said and done of beach after beach after beach.  Each differnt in its own way with its own 

number of people.  For rest stops, I would choose the least crowded.

New England Home Fronts...

The homes which followed the long stretch of beaches gave the shoreline a feel that I didnt appreciate much.  

Concrete foundations facing the sea with iron pole hand railings that guard the water from the nice well painted 

Connecticut houses is also taking something away from the coastline that is so very much what a coastline is 

supposed to be about.    I knwo why it's done  - Ive even been in some of the homes over the years, and its 

downright gorgeous from their perspective too.  Still, give me the raw "piping plover protected beach" any day and 

sandy dunes with scrub over concrete with steel hand rails.

At this point I'm looking to relax a little.  My cadence has kicked in to be sure.  The kayak is no longer flippy 

and true to its form ever, it glides like the wind.  Its like it WANTS to go fast.  Finding a place to land 

though... not so easy... I have beaches spralled out in front of me left and right and it looks like I have the 

pick of the day, but the fact is its a sunday and they are crowded.  I dont want to land next to some kids sand 

castle, nor under someones umbrella.  After paddling on a little more I find a small getty - complete with 

fisherman and son, and I bring my kayak alongside - giving careful berth to the lines and gently glide into the 

sand allowing my kayak to rest.  I drop my hands in the water.  The coolness is soothing to my hand muscles and 

fingers.  I havent been holding the paddle properly.  After two years - I frankly dont care either.  My back is 

still not sore, neither my shoulders.  I drink from my deck bag that has sesnibly, one bottle only and thats good 

too.  I just keep still, the little wavelets of the protected area allowing my twitchy kayak to rest as well.  I 

ponder gettingout of the yak altogether, but without a chair and umbrella [next time] its not a great way to go - 

plus i'd want a more secluded beach.

I back out and keep onward...

My goal at this point is apparent .  There is a distant point far ahead of me that is the last point to be seen 

andthe beyond that - forever long island sound.  Rounding that point however would bring me to Charles Island. Also 

ahead of me are half a dozen jetskiers frolicking about.  I dont like them genrally and i think its the fact that 

they dont actually operate those craft with any practical application like getting from point a to point b. Infact 

it would appear that there are no points at all.  I know  - its fun.  I'd have more fun however actually getting to 

a destination. The para-sail-boarding is another case in point. I think the sea kayak in a very real way is 

everything that they EXACTLY are not.  They are slow - way slow by comparison.  You dont beat mother nature into 

submission, you work with her, sea kayaks generally travel very straight lines comparitively - and they are all 

about being practical.  It's interesting how a persons craft can act as extension of their personality.  I'm sure 

they are all womderful people - I just prefer straight lines, they prefer cork screw circles.

I'm passing the Twin Rocks now.  All light grey white, rugged and cut and stained with the high tide line and so 

much seaweed and barnacles, Im a little sad Im seeing them only now. They just tremedously out of the water and 

make for a true marine motif and  normally I'd have gone right down the middle between the twins - inspected it out 

- seen some cormorants, but Im nearing my turn around point and I'm conserving energy - I've got  miles to go back 

when I reach my point not to far up ahead.  I see them fine from where I am.  The waves are building a little out 

here as we are getting closer to the all out unprotected long island sound.  There are breakwaters off to my left - 

one with a fine lighthouse, but you cant go  miles out of the harbor and not see a change in the wave height.
Its all in fun and still, nothing to brace a paddle over.  

Coming up still further to my turn around point, I am passing home after home after home of concrete foundations 

meeting the sea, many with concrete piers.  All lovely homes with their back lawns all underwater consisting of 

dense sea grass swaths interspersed with large submerged rocks.  Im about 75' off there piers and its making for a 

changle from the dozen or so piers and gettys and sandy crescent beaches.  The land rises steeply to my right at 

there foundations and goes up  rather abruptly.  

Finally, Im passing Oyster River Point, I pass the last vestige of rocks and home and look west and right there - 

what Ive been waiting for - Charles Island...

Isnt visible.  Infact there is still another point up ahead.  I wasnt expecting to land on the island - that was 

out of the question, but I atleast wanted to see it from this new perspective.  Instead another point blocks it, 

all lined with cement foundations and still more homes.  As it turns out - that final point  I would have had to 

make to see the island was a full three miles away [GOOGLE EARTH@home].  I just couldnt add that onto my trip.
I still had five miles back.

I pottered around a bit... what to do... the seas were now getting a little tooth in their texture  and whats more 

they were favoring my direction back to the pier I left.  Isnt THAT serendipity.  I turned my kayak around - ever 

the TITANIC of turning craft sweep strokes on one side, stern rudder on the other, balancing one with the other.
And I'm off.

Up ahead I am a little surprised at the depth of the troughs as they never seem so underneath me.  As it turn out, 

the "gift" of my serendipity is making countless sweep strokes on the port side as the water wants to "wave" me 

into the gettys and piers.  Its not an out of control thing, but it is persistent most of the way back.  

I rest again beside a rocky getty, complete with firsherman.  This time I go full bore, right into the sand at a 

full paddles cadence speed.  A gentle CHHHHUUUFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF  is heard as my kayak comes to a soft but certain 

stop. I relax then go about  dipping my hands into the cool welcome saltwater.  More than anything, its my hands 

that seem to need the rest.  I try to straighten my posture, but I keep falling into a slump as I plod along.   I 

remind myself to straighten up and be more aggresive in paddling.  The water actually releases me from the shore as 

I am relaxing there, drinking and soaking my tired hands.  

As it turns out - the ride back seems so much longer than the ride out. Beach hopping really must have numbed me 

out as I never realized I did allll this mileage.  I use a tall condo building as a refrence point.  Locals will 

know it as the one next to the EXCELLENT seafood eatery Stowes.  For the life of me I cant understand why the heck 

it is taking so long to make progress on it.  It's now that I am seeing the full bite of my chew.  Again, losing 

myself in a string of a dozen gettied and piered crescent beaches numbed me to a degree of the amount of time and 

distance that had gone by. I'd find out how off I was when I got back. 

The harbor and sound plod me along still and the many sweep strokes are still made with gratitude when I feel the 

"free" shove of a decent rolling swell beneath me. The distances from shore are the same, as on the way out.  

Seemingly, half the jetskiers are gone and the suns a little lower.  The wind has picked up too.  I'm finally pass 

that tall condo building and Chicks Drive-in is once again blairing music across the sands.  It follows along with 

me as I make my way along the sandy peninsula again which is of course, Sandy Point.  Fisherman still, and my 

distances kept still.  I'm so grateful when I finally turn the tip of the point and face the direction of my 

loading ramp waayy across the chop.

The final dash...

When I last round Sandy Point I have about 1000' of harbor before me and my goal ramp.  Its waaayyyy across the 

building chop of which, the wind is now blowing in my face.  But at a thousand feet left - who cares.  

When I finally make foot fall  I feel the weight of my exertion as I climb out of the kayak.  I have tired sea legs 

- legs are the muscles that are used heavily actually - certainly calves.  I wobble around a bit but feel terrific 

for the work out I got.  Finally having the yak on my roof and leaving, I have a few words with the parking 

attendant whom I chatted with earlier. "Wow" I say "Must have been gone a full two hours". She looked at me 

startled : "Oh you were gone ATLEAST two hours - ATLEAST" .  I thought she was going a little overboard, but then I 

looked at the clock on the dashboard 5PM.  I was gone a full three hours.  I guessed I traveled 6-7 miles, I 

actually covered over 10.  When you're enjoying a good paddle, time and distance fly.

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WR180 Beach Cruising in Connecticut

I typed this in notepad.... sorry foe the spaces and such!!!

Pete 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.