Required # of plywood sheets to build a Lighthouse Tender Peapod by plans

Greetings,

I'm about to purchase plans to build a Lighthouse Tender  Peapod.  Since the cost of Okoume increased enormously these days, can anyone tell how many sheets of 122 x 250 cm sheets are needed to build a Lighthouse Tender  Peapod by plans?

Regards,

Powderpark

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Required # of plywood sheets to build a Lighthouse Tender Peapod by plans

Usually there's a materials list for plan builders but I don't see one for the Peapod. For an exact answer you'll have to get with CLC support, but from looking at this image:

I'm estimating 8 or 9 sheets.

Laszlo

Hi Lazsio,

Upon your suggestion, I've contacted CLC using the form and they replied back almost immediately:

Here are the plywood requirements for the Lighthouse Tender Peapod:

4 sheets 3/16" x 4' x 8' (4mm x 1250mm x 2500mm)

1 sheet 1/4" x 4' x8'  (6mm x 1250 x 2500mm)

1 sheet 3/8" x 4' x 8'  (9mm  x 1250 x 2500mm)

1 sheet 1/2" x 4' x 8' (12mm x  1250 x 2500mm)

3 sheets 3/4' x 4' x8' (18mm  x  1250 x 2500mm)

Meanwhile, as of today, local prices (Turkey, in €, including VAT, 1€ = 1.05$)  of marine grade Oukume plywood:

4 mm 1220 x 2500 mm  € 32.4

6 mm  1220 x 2500 mm  €45.3

18 mm 1220 x 2500 mm €106

20 mm 1220 x 2500 mm €118

So roughly, I will need €750 +/- €100 worth of Oukeme to build a Lighthouse Tender Peapod.

Regards,

Powderpark

Thank you for posting CLC's answer. It'll really help other plans builders until CLC adds the bill of materials to the website.

Laszlo

Powderpark, 

Well for what it's worth, that material list from CLC locally in Maryland, USA would come to about $1320 with local sales tax (no VAT), or about 1390 euros, so you aren't doing too bad, comparatively!  Quality plywood is worth the price though.  Good luck!

Mummichog

Laszlo & Mummichog

Thanks for your comments and the information you've provided.
In 2019, it was possible to buy a sheet of 1250x2500 mm, 4 mm thick, marine-grade Oukume plywood for about €17 + VAT in Turkey.
I have built a sea-kayak using 3 sheets, so I remember it very well.
Recently, the price nearly doubled here. I tried to understand the reason for this enormous price increase and searched for global price trends: https://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/?commodity=plywood&months=60
This graph shows not any increase at all. Probably I'm missing something or the story is a long one.

Powderpark

That graph appears not to be for the plywood type you quoted a 2019 price for; from what I saw looking at that website there's no data available for the stuff we use for building boats.

When one considers the aggregate cost for everything else that goes into getting that plywood into our hands, it ought to be obvious there's more involved in retail pricing than simply the wholesale cost of any particular item.

Decades ago I bought some 6mm okoume 5-ply for something like US $42/4x8 sheet. Looking at that vendor's website today the stuff goes for $98. Allowing for US inflation of 114% for the period, the $98 price is 8% above what it otherwise would be, a little under what inflation would account for here in the US just last month. 

Please keep in mind that you don't have to buy all of the plywood at once.  Once of the best aspects of being a plans builder is that you can purchase materials as you go.  This means that if it takes you a year to build a boat that takes $1,200 in plywood, you could possibly just buy $100 worth of plywood a month.  Obviously that over-simplified, but you get my point.  I built a $3K Passagemaker over 18 months (while working at West Marine), so it was totally doable.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.