Weight of your Skerry

I wonder if any Skerry owners out there have weighed their boats? I'm considering one (instead of a Northeaster) but I'm skeptical of the published weights. I would be grateful for any observations on this question. I had an Annapolis Wherry for a while that I bought already built from someone. It seemed well made but probably weighed 15 pounds more than CLC says it should.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Weight of your Skerry

I believe the published weights are fairly accurate with an experienced/pro builder is behind the wheel.  The amount of epoxy is what determines the weight difference in identical boats. More epoxy is not better it just adds weight. 

Any particular reason or application as to why you need the Skerry's weight?

Bob is absolutely correct. And since experience matters so much, a poll of first-time builders would be skewed to heavy boats.

In fact, the published weights are higher than what an experienced builder can do using the kit material. My first ever S&G boat came in about 15 lbs over the published weight, my 4th 2 lbs under (even though I doubled the amount of glass specified). And then there's folks like hspira who use special techniques like lighter species of wood, optimized wood thickness, different types of glass and so on to end up with boats that weigh less than 2/3 of the specified weight.

Long story short, the final weight is in your hands. If it's really critical, practice practice practice until you are an experienced epoxy cowboy. If you still want to do the poll, also ask how many S&G boats that person built before the Skerry.

Laszlo

That's really interesting. Can you suggest any specific substitutions that would result in lesser weight?

The reason for my question is that I'm considering buying a half built Skerry--or maybe a little more than 1/2 built. The hull is completed, glassed and epoxied but not finished. I'm pretty sure I'll have to do some sanding. There's probably not much I can do anymore to reduce weight, but I'll welcome any suggestions.

Okay, well once again I'll chime in here, fwiw, where my opinion is neither needed or wanted!  (not the first time and probably not the last).  But... with a boat like the Skerry, to me, it's just beyond that weight where it makes any sense to carry it (on your own).  Nor to cartop it.  

And, because this is basically a keel boat, and not a kayak or canoe, I'm not sure you even want it as light as can be. Many Skerry sailors (myself included) routinely add ballast to, you guessed it, make it even heavier.  I can tell you that the balanced lug rig will be pushing this boat along well towards 5 and 6 mph before you even have time to say, "Wow, that happened fast." 20 to 30 extra pounds by a combination of ballast, and or epoxy, I doubt is going to make any difference.   

So again, I'm just not seeing how saving any weight for a boat like the Skerry, by minimizing as much as possible your use of epoxy, is going to make any difference.  I don't see how it'll help structurally, and I don't see how it can help matters, seaworthy-wise, either.  

Good luck on your completion of your project Skerry, if you buy it.  As you noted, it looks like there's not much else you can do anyway, to reduce weight, and like I said, for sailing purposes, this is a boat where you might want to, not reduce weight, but actually add some, for ballast purposes.  

I have not weighed my Skerry, but I have an aluminum canoe of the same length as the Skerry. It is only somewhat lighter, and has a published weight of around 75-80lbs.

The only reason I could see for the weight mattering is cartopping. If that's what you're looking to do, it should be possible if you have a helper to help you with the lift. I bought my Skerry completed from somebody and had to cartop it home because I did not yet own a trailer.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.