What size oars for a Skerry?

My Skerry build is coming along nicely and should be finished by mid April. I should probably start thinking of making some oars. Any recommendations for oar length? I'm 1.90 cm tall. Haven't rowed before so really have no idea. 

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: What size oars for a Skerry?

I am just a little shorter than you, I have 7'10" Spoon blade oars that work quite well. The skerry rows like a dram and you can do so with the sail up and not bonk your head (well, we will see what the extra inch does!)

Also, while I enjoy rowing my skerry she is a boat of compromise, she will not row like a skull nor was she designed to.  would keep to the 7'10" 

Thanks! Sounds good!

Stowing oars while sailing my Skerry was problematic at times, say the sheet entangles an oar or just being in the way.  I found that the 7'6" spoon oars that came with the boat fit very nicely inside of the top strake with the blades tucked together in the very bow and the grips wedged in at the center bulkhead.  A bungee cord keeps everything in place.

Great point @jim

I can confirm what jim states. Reciently I got an additional pair of horn oar locks. I have the closed ones on the oars and use the horns forward so I can Quickly put the oars up or down. This has been helpful the three times since I got them where I needed to switch between rowing and sailing.

Will second what dmiddad says about the additional pair of horn oar locks; keeps the oars out of the cockpit while sailing, and allows for easy access to resume rowing when winds die; been using 8 1/2' barkley sound wooden oars; lightweight and a perfect length, plus they add to the good looks of a wooden boat.   

I'll third that.  I do something similar on my PMD, with loops of small shock cord attached to the throats of the oarlocks to pass over the top of the oars and back down under the protruding end of the shafts to help keep them in place.

.....MIchael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.