Spacered inwales.

The spacered inwales on the Skerry are an option, but is describeds as being tricky and difficult to add to the boat.  Inwales are part of the kit for the Lighthouse TP.  Are the inwales just as difficult on the Peapod, or does the boat design make it easier?  I'm talking about the kit projects.

12 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Spacered inwales.

If you haven't yet seen it, John Harris as a blog entry where he goes into detail on what's involved in making spacered inwales.

I have read that blog entry.  So the Lighthouse TP is equally as difficult as the Skerry, even though the peapod inwales come with the kit?

How much wood working experience do you have?

The spacered inwales for my skerry where really no problem but I have a bit of woodworking experience and decided that the extra 20 hours was worth it. (not including dry time it was only about 4 hours in actuality)

The instructions are clear and if you have enough resolve to build the boat you will be please with the spacered inwales.

T

I don't have much wood working experience, but I am careful, take my time and follow directions well.

Spacered inwales aren't "difficult" in the sense of it takes a ton of experience with tools type deal...its just time consuming.  You have to cut some ~70 blocks and glue them. Then epoxy and sand each one.  then cut the rails to the right length and glue to those blocks of wood..then epoxy and sand that.  All you need is a saw and 20 hours of time.  Sanding in frustrating with all the corners but...look at my boat..no regrets at all

To add on to my comment, this is my first boat build in the pic.  I had no experience to go off of doing this just a lot of determination and an absolute love for the look of spacered inwales.

If you look real close you'll see my mistakes. I cut one rail too short and ended up putting it back together with a scarf joint which is something I learned about building the boat. Then the very end was a tiny bit too short and I filled it wil epoxy and used tape to hold it in to the shape.  In the end you dont notice when you use the boat just when you look at it in very fine detail.  

I did not find the spacered inwales dfficult to install on my NED and I did it without any helpers.  Other parts of the build were more difficult.  The directions that came with the kit are good.  It added about 2+ weeks to my build (if I remember correctly), but in the end it was worth it.   Just as a note, I cut all the blocks by hand, even that was not the difficult.  The hardest part was the varnishing, getting into the spaces and preventing runs.  

" In the end you dont notice when you use the boat just when you look at it in very fine detail." - so true wookmaster.   

wookmaster - beautiful build! Your fillets appear to blend really well. What type of filler did you blend with the epoxy to make them? Also, did you do any staining of the ply or is that just the natural color under epoxy and varnish?

With the kit parts inwales aren't complicated, just  more work and loads more clamps.i used a deck of cards to work out the spacing and cut the spacers to match the card length 

JamesP, it's just Epoxy + Wood flour/silica that came with the kit.  I went down two paths, the bottom has a very dark color wood flour color but because I put in pads you can't tell at all, the upper fillets I mixed in silica and the color is much lighter so there's less contast but it doesnt match up at all.  10 ft back it looks like a perfect boat which is the view you're seeing lol

Added that pic because you can see the light color in the bow fillets

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.