Lighthouse Peapod Comfort

I am considering my first build of a convenient boat for primarliy day sailing (and an occasional row) in San Diego Bay. I love the new Peapod but have had a nagging question about the thwart connectors. Wouldn't those connectors make it uncomfortable to sit on the floor while sailing? It seems like those connectors would hit right in the middle of your back and make relaxing on the hull difficult or impossible while sailing. And they are narrow such that one can't sit on them as well. I feel that comfort in the boat is most important and I am concernced the Peapod, although beautiful and a wonderful sailor, won't be comfy for an afternoon sail. 

Also, behind the middle thwart is room only for one grown person. The second would sit on the floor between the mast and the middle thwart? My guess is the Peapod can accomodate a max of 2 people for sailing  or maybe me and my 70lb lab. 

Can anyone speak to these questions?

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Lighthouse Peapod Comfort

Great questions.  The Lighthouse Tender Peapod is an exeptionally handsome craft.  But I share your concerns about comfort and hope you get some feedback from folks who have spent time in one. (I have not.)

Personally, I've made the decision to instead build the Lake Union Swift, which I gather performs similarly, but has cockpit benches that I know my aging knees and back will appreciate.  And while I find its lines attractive, the large transom is nowhere near as elegant as what you get with the double ended Peapod.

Watching this thread.

I've been wondering the same thing.  The Skerry looks more comfortable by looking at the photos.

I took one for a sail at the Mid-Atlantic Small Craft Festival and it was plenty comfortable. Wth the boat heeled even the slightest bit I was just barely touching the "thwart connectors" (there's got to be a more official term for those) with my back. I never had my full weight against them. They also actually help with comfort in that they give something to brace against with your feet when heeled. It took a few minutes to initially find the comfortable spot, but after that it was no problem.

I've sailed the Skerry many times and I found the Peapod more comfortable. With the smooth sides and extra 2" of beam on the Skerry I can't brace as well. They're both excellent boats, BTW, and I've had fun sailing each one, so don't take it as knocking the Skerry when I say that I find the Peapod more comfortable.

And, in case it makes a difference, I'm closer to 70 than 60 and I have a dinged knee.

Laszlo

What was your back leaning against if it was barely touching the 'connectors?' 

On another note, do you consider the Peapod the best sailing CLC design? Is the Tenderly comparable minus the rowing ability?  I want something that is easy to live with. Easy to store, easy to the water, easy in and out, easy to rig...you get the picture.  I have enjoyed your answers on other threads Laszlo.

Josh

My back was self-supporting, not leaning against anything. John Staub demonstrates this well in this picture from the gallery:

He's sitting on the windward side of the boat. As it heels, he is being tilted toward the leeward side. he's bracing against the leeward side with his foot and against the thwart with his left elbow. There's almost no pressure on his back. He is also in control of all the pressure through his foot, left arm and core body muscles, as well as with the tiller and sheet. With all that control, it's easy to shift the boat/body combination to relieve or change any pressure.

Even when the boat is not heeling as much as before,, he's sti;; being tilited forward away from the connectors.

And in almost a dead calm you have John Harris sitting up straight in the center of the boat to keep it from heeling with no wind to support it.

And it seems that Andrew can sit on those skinny shelves somehow.

As for what's the best CLC design, I'm not really qualified to answer that question. Much of it depends on individual circumstances and desires.

Tenderly vs. Peapod - The Tenderly is also a fun boat and I was impressed with how easy it was to sail. However, I'm not sure if it buys you any more convenience in storage and use than the Peapod, except insofar as it takes up 3 feet less space. Both boats need a trailer (unless you have special circumstances that make vehicle-topping possible), both are available with a balanced lug rig (which is one of the easiest sails to rig) and both are a joy to sail. If you're using a trailer, they'll both need a launch ramp. The greater length of the Peapod will make backing up the trailer somewhat less squirrely. If I remember correctly from when I lived in San Diego 40+ years ago, both boats will need registration and fees so that's a wash. For San Diego Bay they're probably equally sea-worthy as long as you keep out of the way of the Navy tugs and harbor excursion boats. The only thing that comes to mind is that the double-ended Peapod may take a wave/wake from behind better than the Tenderly.

Sorry to sound so wishy-washy, but they're both such nice, simple and good-looking boats.

Laszlo

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.