Finishing up sanding, part 2

I am building a Skerry, and have glassed, epoxied, and sanded the exterior. The surface is pretty rough in parts, because the epoxy went on so unevenly. I asked about this here, previously: https://www.clcboats.com/forum/clcforum/thread/54053.html

I understated the problem. Here is a photo showing one side of the boat.

Much of the surface is pretty uneven. I called CLC, and they suggested more epoxy, but as I mentioned on the earlier forum discussion, that seems not to be working. Before sanding, I tried more epoxy, and that just added more epoxy, without selectively filling in the indentations, (the spots that the sander couldn't reach).

The earlier forum discussion mentioned fairing. Is that a feasible solution, given that I basically have to fix the entire surface of the hull?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finishing up sanding, part 2

It's interesting that your photo won't show up on my Chromebook using Chrome browser, but it is nice and clear if I use Firefox or Duckduckgo.

Now, about your question: how perfect does it have to be? If you want an autobody finish, you've got more work to do. I'm guessing that you'd have to use microballoons and then paint the hull.

If you can live with imperfection, you are there! I'd put some varnish on it and start patting myself on the back. I'm a bit of a contrarian and I think that the wood grain showing through a coat of varnish can cover-up a multitude of minor blemishes. Satin varnish might work better than high gloss -- but I like the gloss. Who says your hull must be perfectly smooth to be beautiful?

Thank you, Birch2. I'd like the surface smoother. On the other hand, I'd also like the boat in the water this summer.

So the question is whether it is feasible to use microballoons or fairing compound over large areas, or whether those are more for spot fixes.

I've never used microballoons or fairing compound so I am out of my depth in spouting off. But I think both of them would make your hull easier to scratch on pebbles and rocks. Why not consider at least making the part below the water line as durable as possible? Perhaps you should consider graphite/epoxy -- nice and matt black, scratch resistent, and you can claim the surface "pebbles" are designed to reduce turbulence and resistance when sailing! An expensive improvement/modification.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.