Order 208266

I am building a Petrel Play that was resently delivered. The strong back assembled and standing in supports vertically 2" wide and 4" tall. As I attempt to slide the kit supplied forms onto the end of the strong back I am discovering the CNC cutouts for the strong back has the forms 90 degrees out of orientation to the strong back? This makes no sense to me and there must be a simple mistake that I am making. Thanks for your help.

6 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Order 208266

Sorry for the interruption and it helps if one reading the layout plans. My mistake, corrected and on with the forms work. 

your first post was spot on, "it must be a simple mistake" :)

fwiw, i recently completed a petel play.  and i was confused too with the strong back.  first time in a number of builds where they rotated it around....

anyway, its a great boat.  this one was a bit of an experiment ...and built with paulownia and weighs in at 29 lbs fully rigged.  i was out paddling several hours today in 20 mph winds and loved it.

h

First off, your Petrel looks amazing! Congrats. A question to both of you. How tall did you make your sawhorses? I just bought both strip and S&G Petrel Plays and am lookig forward to getting started. Thanks for any input, Steve

First off, your Petrel looks amazing! Congrats. A question to both of you. How tall did you make your sawhorses? I just bought both strip and S&G Petrel Plays and am looking forward to getting started. Thanks for any input, Steve

Hi Steve, 

my sawhorses are 37 inches from the top of the crossbeam to the floor.  they are definitely higher than stock sawhorses.  i custom cut them to be at a comfortable height for me for kayak building and they are very sturdy.

fwiw, i am 5' 10" tall and find that they are tall enough that i can stand with good posture (vs being hunched over) and it is comfortable. 

i also have a little contraption on these wooden sawhorses to further raise the the strong back above the tops of the sawhorses by several inches.   this is necessary to ensure the shear line clears the crossbars.  unfortunately i don't have a picture of it but if you look at the picture below, you can see that the strong back is sitting almost 3 inches above the cross bars.  basically there is a another narrow block of  2X4 screwed to the cross bar which at this phase of building is providing that extra elevation.  everything has screws into it to keep it all secure and allow it to be easily assembled and disassembled.  after this phase, when the boat is flipped over, the additional block is moved and the boat sits on its cross bars.

anyway, the point is, on the strip builds, that the set-up needs to be easy to reconfigure to make adjustments depending on what phase of construction you are in and the design of the boat.  there are lots of approaches to doing it, just needs to be done.

hope that is helpful.

h

H, Thank you for the quick and detailed reply. Yes, that is exactly what I was looking for and very helpful. I like your Specialized, I stopped riding 2 years ago, after 20 years of riding-I really enjoyed it.  Thanks again, Steve

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.