Fix a damage

Hello,

My sectional SW is dropped from saw horses on to the ground.  A corner is bent and damage. It's about a half inch big.  I'm trying to fix it by using thickened epoxy. Please see the pictures.  I know it is not going to be pretty but is it a good fix?  Do I need to patch it with fiberglass?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/NAV1sVEXmfpL3h7P7

Chi

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Fix a damage

Hi Chi, 

i looked at your pictures.  everybody is a bit different on how they see these things.

if it was me, i would probably put glass over it just becuase of where the damage is and you are building a sectional which i think may subject that area to more stress than a non-sectional.

when i have to do repairs i break it down into what structural issue i may have to address.....and then how do i make it look nice....but they are kind of two different thought exercises.

in a normal shearwaterr, all  the forces that keep the hull from folding are transmitted through the hull/deck plys and their associated skins.   and the forces are uniform and spread out.  in a sectional, everything in the ends comes through the four bolts/the bulkhead and the attachment of the bulkheads back to the skins.....so since this involves the bulkhead/skin juncture, i just would want to make sure that was strong in a way that glass becomes important vs just cosmetic gap filling.

for cosmetics on this, i would have just gone with clear epoxy to improve the color match.  you build a dam that would have held it in place.  so glass over a clear epoxy gap filling is also an approach you can use.

anyway, that is my thinking,

h

RE: Fix a damage

That's simple cosmetic damage and you are doing the right thing in fixing it with a dam that you fill with epoxy. My only recommendation would be to use wood-flour epoxy from now on. The wood flour will give you a better color match than the clear epoxy alone. Your repair is probably going to be stronger than the original structure.

Chin up. Move on!  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.