Bungee. Alternate to knots?

Would anybody be willing to share how they secure bungee cord if you don't want to use a knot? I am looking to do something that looks relatively smooth like potentially crimping and putting shrink-wrap....but cannot find a good reference Thanks H

8 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bungee. Alternate to knots?

Yes, this has knots. The advantage is you can tighten the bungees. With hog rings (stainless steel) and shrink tubing you cannot.

Dan

The pictures are invisible without a google account.

I have used small black zip ties instead of knots on several boats.  They are not 100% invisible up close.

Dan's picture without the google nonsense:

Fine, but those cut ends are still going to fray aren't they?

As bungee doesn't work like nylon/polyester cordage when it comes to 'fixing' the cut ends I'd at least want to whip those cut ends so as to avoid a messy, unsightly frayed end down the road. And if the cut end is doubled back onto itself the same technique can be used to create a stop, an alternative to using hog-rings or other metallic stuff.

I use the hot knife that I linked to in another thread. This cuts and seals the ends of the bungees (and deck lines) so they don't fray. If it's a customer's boat I will sometimes use a piece of shrink tubing to pretty up the ends.

Dan

Mark N, the zip ties "could" be visible . . . but who is going to pay any attention in a wonderful photo like that!

Kudos to you bride for holding up the boat without indicating anything other than true love!

Sometimes I use SS safety wire and electricians tape. I always melt the ends. Adjustments......havent needed to do it on over a year. It has done 150 to 200 water miles and more than 6200 highway miles in the sun.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.