how much Cell o Fill

Picked up my kit today!  It's the Shearwater Sport Sectional.  I've never done anything like this, so am sure I'll be asking LOTS of questions here. (

First question: on the first step, it says to epoxy the puzzle joints with a mixture of epoxy and cell-o-fill.  But I'm not seeing any indication of how much cell o fill to use, or what the texture should be.  Any advice.

(And thanks to the nice people putting in with the CLC boats at Truxtron Park this afternoon who reassured me that I can do it.)

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: how much Cell o Fill

for puzzle joints i try to add cell-o-fill to get a mayonaise consistency.

fwiw, i will mix the epoxy first, paint unthickened epoxy on the exposed layers of the plywood of the puzzle joints, then mix the cell-o-fill in to the epoxy to get it to the mayonaise consitency i described for the final joint assembly.

h

for puzzle joints i try to add cell-o-fill to get a mayonaise consistency.

fwiw, i will mix the epoxy first, paint unthickened epoxy on the exposed layers of the plywood of the puzzle joints, then mix the cell-o-fill in to the epoxy to get it to the mayonaise consitency i described for the final joint assembly.

h

Just a reminder............ sand and fit the joints first before putting any epoxy on the joint. 

You may find it useful to mix a few small batches of epoxy with both the cell of fill and the wood flour on scrap material just to learn how it behaves and cures. I was new at this as well and had only used epoxy for small repair jobs in the past. But once you've done a few batches you begin to learn how to work it. I was pretty comfortable with it by the time I had to put fiberglass cloth on the outside of the hull, but I can still see some dry patches on the initial puzzle joints that I am chalking up to learning experience. I found that I erred on the side of too little material at first and so ended up with runny epoxy when tacking the hull panels together. The cell o fill is to give the epoxy more viscocity so it stays put as it cures. Watching videos of Jason Eke and Nick Schade on YouTube also lets you observe a master before you plunge in.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.