Interlux Goldspar Satin thick?

3 coats of Interlux Schooner went on beautifully on the Peapod seats. Filtered and very thin coat with a foam brush.

Time for Interlux Goldspar Satin. It looks thicker and dark. Is this ok? Tips on application?

Dean

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Interlux Goldspar Satin thick?

Try some on a scrap piece of something similar to your seats, after decanting a little bit from the can. See how it behaves compared to the Schooner varnish. If it's too thick for your tastes, draggy in application, add a little of Interlux's recommended thinner, try again until you get what you like.

The dark is probably the Gold you paid for. Looks dark when in the can, won't be so dark once spread thin on your seats, but will add color rather than just what'd come from any UV-inhibitors that tend to be yellowish-orange.

The Goldspar is more targeted at interior woodwork than Schooner.  It's a polyurethane finish as opposed to a classic varnish like Schooner.  I would expect it might not level out quite as easily as Schooner.  The Schooner actually has more solids and is specifically made w/ UV filters.  Are you overcoating the Schooner with it for the satin finish?

I applied 3 coats of Schooner per the Peapod manual and plan to put 2 coats of Goldspar Satin next,  also as mentioned in the manual. I'm told Schooner will provide the UV protection that the Satin lacks. 

I did a test and I like the results. It knocks down the reflection which is what I'm looking for. 

I guess I expected the thickness to be like the Schooner.

It did covered well and dried nicely. As spclark mentioned it was only dark in the can and didn't add the yellow- orange spclark mentioned from UV varnish. 

Dean

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.