outboard motor sizing for Peeler Skiff

Due to the current 8-12 month backlog in outboard motor deliveries it looks like I'm going to need to make a quick decision on purchasing one in order to be ready for the 2022 boating season.    I'm currently leaning towards Suzuki (seems to have best price/performance over Yamaha) ... Issue is that wheel stearing option is only available on Suzuki 9.9 and 20 HP models (not 15 HP model) .... I am told that the engine on all three models is really the same and that different HP is achieved via chip in electronics.

My question is 9.9HP still the better pick over the 20HP model?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: outboard motor sizing for Peeler Skiff

Depends on where/how you will be using it. The 9.9hp is a good all around size and will allow you to use it where there are horsepower restrictions. The 20hp exceeds the rating for the boat but most models weigh the same as the 15 so you just need to have some throttle discipline. I haven't snapped my 15 off yet so enjoy.

Peter,

My Peeler has the Yamaha F-9 9.9 hp (with Doel-Fins at Catboater's suggestion). I've had no reason to regret my choice. With 4 adults aboard she moves well out on Narragansett Bay and sips fuel. Among the benefits an under 10 hp motors are 1) taxes, 2) can legally operate in more lakes and ponds, and 3) the state doesn't require any special qualifications to operate one.

You might have insurance issues it your motor exceeds the manufacturers motor rating, but Catboater's comments about throttle discipline would certainly apply if you do opt for 20 hp.

Cheers,

Dick

Your boat looks great Dick!  Would you say that seating 4 adults comfortably in a boat this size is realistic? 

Peter,

We do it all the time.

Cheers,

Dick   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.