Ch17 cockpit coaming grind flat inside or just cleanup and epoxy

Hello all ! Just wondering what everyone has done with the inside of the cockpit coaming? Did you grind the inside flat or just clean it up ? Seams to me if you grind the inside flat you are removing a lot of material from the coaming rings and the coaming itself. I can't really find any good pics of what it should look like. Thanks for any input

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Ch17 cockpit coaming grind flat inside or just cleanup and epoxy

I just cleaned mine up, ran some epoxy filler around the inside surface to make it flat, gave that a sanding and finally glued some foam strip around the inside. 

I'm old, I like softer edges.  :-)  

Not sure what you mean by "grinding flat" vs. "cleaning up". You actually need to do both. I don't have a picture handy of the CH16 and WR18 that I've built (they use exactly the same coaming as the CH17) but here's one of my WD12 which, while a different size, is built exactly the same way.

The stack of coaming rings is sanded, ground, etc. so that all the rings end up with a common interior boundary. Is this what you mean by grind flat? The result is plenty strong and is solid enough to anchor seats as well as providing support to the paddler while entering and exiting the boat,

If this picture isn't enough for you, let me know and I'll go take one of the other boats.

Laszlo

Hortonpt, when you bonded your coaming pieces to the deck did they line up even with the inside of the deck's cut-out? This would be an optimum condition, where there's no overlap, leaving the coaming proud of the deck opening. This is where dry-fitting before bonding  comes in handy: get everything arranged beforehand so once the stuff's glued down it ends up where it's supposed to once the glue's cured.

I doubt a designer's intent would have a builder thinning the coaming at all if it were to overlap into the deck opening much if any. Better to leave full thickness if possible, maybe fill any impromptu 'rabbet' with filled spoxy?

In any case I'm with Yambo about the softer edges though I'd avoid the foam. At least round over the square edges left from CNC machine-cut parts; it's a rare soul who finds pleasure in encounters with hard, square edges at an inopportune moment afloat!

Thanks for the support guys ! I did just sand the inside coaming rings flush and it looks awesome ! The pics helped a lot ! Again thanks for the reply's 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.