Kaholo 14 seams

I'm stitching the seams and have one area where I've drilled extra holes and it still doesn't stay connected.  Can I duck tape it through the tacking phase?  This sounds like I'm joking but I'm not.  I've removed the frames and sanded them down once.  My stern / transom really needs a crossmemebr on top to pull the bottom up.  The gap is small - two inches.  Everything else is holding pretty decently.  
also, I've built a skerry and the bow required shaping.  The directions don't point there but the appearance does.  Is this your experience?  Thanks

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Kaholo 14 seams

I guess photo attaching is not allowed anymore?  The length of gap is probably more like a 1/4 inch and is the corner of the sheer not meeting the transom.

Hi Fred,

i can't speak to the gaps you mention as its hard to see what you are talking about other than to say dealing with gaps is a part of the stitch and glue process and i am certain we can close them up tight enough that there will be no problem.   if you can attach a picture, it will be pretty easy to sort out.

on your question about using tape, yes, you can use tape to close gaps and its an important part of the tool box. some stitch and glue designs, in fact, use tape and not copper wire.

but i would not recommend duck (duct) tape.  i would use a high quality strapping tape with glass fibre filaments in it.   this is a sample of what i talking about: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002VPDKY0?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details

when working with tape i would highlight the following.  use a high quality tape that will not leave an adhesive residue on your boat.   use a tape that won't stretch (hence the fibre tape), once the tape has served its purpose, remove it to prevent residue from sticking on the boat.

hope this helps

h

thanks for your reply H
hoping this posts

https://app.photobucket.com/u/Mjtiede/a/947e90d2-500d-40d8-82c3-1c6e5d3a1e3e   

I probably go through a dozen rolls of the green stuff on every build.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.