Eastport Pram - Mainsheet Position/location

Greetings All:

Just launched my nesting Eastport, am having tons of fun getting to know her characteristics, and thought I'd ask around about folks' experience with positioning of the mainsheet.

The text of the builder's manual is not specific, but a diagram on page 97  shows the sheet knotted to the boom about 7/8 of the way out to the outhaul.  However, a photo on the last page (108) of John sailing the pram shows his sheet located much closer to the center of the boom.

The two times I've sailed her so far, in 10-or-so knots of wind, I felt like the boom was riding up too high out at the clew and that it might behave better if it were flattened.  I'm thinking locating the sheet further out might provide some vang-like control

My guess is the further out the boom the sheet goes, the more it will tend to flatten the sail...but I could be completely backwards about that; moreover, in other photos of user-built boats, I've noticed much more sophisticated mainsheet arrangements.

So I wondering if any Eastport sailors have any comments to offer on their sheeting arrangements.

Thanks and fair winds to all,

Roger

1 reply:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Eastport Pram - Mainsheet Position/location

Roger:

If you look through the photo galleries for both tne regular and nesting Eastport Pram, you'll see that this is one of those cases of "different ships, different long splices" as the old sailors' adage goes.  The standing lug rig does, by its nature, present the issue of how to control the tendency for the boom to rise and the top of the sail to twist off when the sheet is eased.  A boom vang would, as you suggest, solve the twist issue regardless of how the sheet is rigged, but that might pressent some problems by putting a more pressure on the boom jaws against the mast, hard to say, plus it becomes one more thing to have to fiddle with in an otherwise simple rig.

I can see from the photos that John Harris seems to prefer the mid-boom, single part sheet held in the hands...and that he exhibits great arm strength in being able to keep the sail drawing well.  I'm not sure I'd want to try to emulate that myself in a stiff breeze for very long.

A single part sheet at the end of the boom and led down to a small block ridding on a rope bridle (acting as a traveller) at the transom might be the simplist thing for you to try first.  That would also let you grip the sheet with your tiller hand to free up the other to scratch your nose or push your sunglasses up.

Current photo #5 in the regular Eastport Pram gallery shows a slightly more complicated arrangement where the sheet leads from a bridle at the transom, up to a single block near the clew end of the boom, along the boom to another block about midway, and thence to the sailor's hand.  This would give a bit more mechanical advantage and less tendency for the boom to rise with the sheet eased.

With a standing lug like this, anything you can do to control sail twist with the sheet eased will greatly improve the sail's drive when reaching.

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.