Chasing Perfection

Ok, I am a first time builder, I have been steadily working on a Wood Duck 14 since January. Currently everything is at the point where I am getting ready to glass the exterior, and I've already decided that this will not be a one-and-done situation. That being said, good, bad, or ugly, this boat will be a bright finish simply because every imperfect aspect makes it beautiful. That being said, how far does one chase perfection?

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chasing Perfection

It's a philosophical question! 

At the risk of unintentional paraphrase and faulty attribution, here are a few perspectives:

"Perfection is the enemy of the good" - Voltaire

"Genius is the art of taking infinite pains" - Albert Einstein

Or, as my old boss in my summer job on the grounds crew at college would say (put on your heavy Italian accent):

"Take-a-time, make it look nice!" - Louis DiRusso

It's a philosophical question! 

At the risk of unintentional paraphrase and faulty attribution, here are a few perspectives:

"Perfection is the enemy of the good" - Voltaire

"Genius is the art of taking infinite pains" - Albert Einstein

Or, as my old boss in my summer job on the grounds crew at college would say (put on your heavy Italian accent):

"Take-a-time, make it look nice!" - Louis DiRusso

In his videos, Nick Schade speaks often of "Sneaking up on Perfection."  If you think you need another two passes with the block plane, do only one and take a look.     

"Boat building is the practice of minimizing errors" - DP

Dean

It seems that the law of diminishing returns applies. There is a point when the effort for perfection is greater than the benefits. If its perfect will you risk paddling it?

My point of view - perfection is in the realm of dieties and I'm only human, so I'll go paddling and sailing rather than waste time chasing perfection. i wonder how many people on their deathbeds have said "I really wish I'd sanded that boat a few more times"?

Laszlo

Thank you all for telling me exactly what I needed to hear. It is a boat, take my time, slow down, don't expect perfection but instead hope for beauty. I'm paraphrasing, of course. I'm hoping 5o have this finished by 6/26 for my wife so she can enjoy it for our anniversary. But the longer I chase perfection the less likely that is to happen.

“The test of the machine is the satisfaction it gives you. There isn't any other test. If the machine produces tranquility it's right. If it disturbs you it's wrong until either the machine or your mind is changed.”
― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry Into Values

i'm with lazlo...if it floats and goes....goes out and live!

h

Pirsig has it right. Perfection, or beauty from a narrower perspective, is in the beholder's appreciation of encounter.

I had a first edition of ZAMM I'd loaned to a friend, then lost in a fire when his apartment burned.

Over time we drifted apart; I don't much miss our friendship yet I do regret the loss of that volume.

ZAMM.  First read it in a freshman college class.  Made a difference in my life.  Quality as the description of the relationship/point of intersection between the object and the user/beholder.  I've used Pirsig and Demming to guide discussions of the concept of quality in the leadership classes I've taught. 

I've often fallen back on Pirsig's description of troubleshooting a problem provided early in the book - think things through before grabbing a wrench.  The equivalent of the moaning chair so frequently recommended in this forum. As a bicyclist I also appreciate his description of the gargage mechanic who is so sure that there is no way a skinny little tire can handle 90 psi (going by memory of that passage here).

Also, ZAMM and the sequel "Lila" are an informative view from inside the head of a schizophrenic.  Helped me to deal with my sister's illness.

And to keep on topic, at least the second book moves us back to boats.  Time to go put something in the water, dip an oar, a paddle or hoist a sail and comtemplate a bit.

“Sometimes it's a little better to travel than to arrive.” - Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.