Anybody going to BLBF?

Looking forward to the curtailed Big Little Boat Festival in about 10 days.  Anybody else attending?  I am camping both nights and plan to do the 20 mile race.

I am bringing three race kayaks.  Sadly, the forth will not quite be done.  It is a decked Spindrift scaled to 95%, measuring 20.5' x 18".

14 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Anybody going to BLBF?

Hi Marc, 

i am planning on attending. 

have not sorted out if i am just driving up for the day or going to stay the night.   i'm a bit closer to the site so a lot of it is weather depending.

i was hoping to participate in 8 mile event....again weather depending.

was currently planning on bringing two night herons....the project in progress...the petrel play light... is unfortunately going a bit slower than planned due to family obligtions that came up.    still on track for ~ 25 lbs.    look forward to meeting you in person.

h

I'll be there but not in the long races. I'd rather hang out with the people and see their boats than spend all day paddling to Deale and back. That I can do on my own. Besides, I'm not sure if I'll have my new racing kayak finished by then and doing that in a WD12 is more ambitious than I feel.  Currently working on the paint job. Off to apply yet another coat of fairing compound (so I can sand it off tomorrow). Think I'll name the boat "Sisyphus".

See you guys next week,

Laszlo

I am finishing my Passagemaker tomorrow (?) hopefully, I can try it before 5/22. I plan to sail 8 or 20 miles with my wife. 

Please, support Nicky (donation). She is great.

Kind regards

Diego

I was thinking about it but things just weren't adding up. Of course since Mark N , who lives south of me, is going the distance thing is kind of a weakened excuse. 

Sorry that Grumpy won't make it.  Regarding the races, I will admit that which race I do depends a bit on the weather forecast.  I won't be doing the long one if it is crappy.   Looking forward to meeting you guys in person.  Safe travels all!

I'll be there from Friday afternoon till Sunday morning. I'm bringing last year's build, a microBootlegger Sport, and my recently finished Shearwater 17 "strip and glue" which has not gotten wet yet. I hope to scratch it ;-)

I'm open for paddling Friday afternoon and Sunday morning, weather permitting.

Dan

www.moonlightmarine.net

Hi Dan, 

if the weather is good, i will try to be out there friday afternoon as well.

h

NWS says Friday & Saturday mostly sunny, low to mid 80's.   Accuweather more or less concurs. Sunday even warmer. Even GeorgeK would be comfortable.

Laszlo

I'll be there with my Skerry. Not participating in the races but I might see how far I can follow along.

I'll be there but Leary as to wether the build will make the trip. I've yet to car top it anywhere else but in my driveway. Still working on how to secure the boat and all the sailrig parts so without much time left I'd rather not make the cartop maiden voyage a five hour round trip highway ride over the bay bridge without working out any kinks that may develop first.

With a few minor blemishes and finishing touches I've yet to get to I'm not so sure she's even show worthy. So probably next year.☹️
Here's what she's looking like so far. There are five pics here click right left arrow on top to scroll through.

https://www.imagevenue.com/ME13D3JM

See you guys there Saturday, PP

P.S. Tap pics to enlarge 

PP

Gorgeous build Poopdeck, you're almost there. Get some load straps to hold the hull down to the roof rack. Keep extras in the car and add/adjust them down the road if you see any shifting or hear any noise. Be careful but don't be afraid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3goCUlVnLE

[URL=https://www.imagevenue.com/ME13D3JM][IMG]https://cdn-thumbs.imagevenue.com/03/79/a1/ME13D3JM_t.jpeg[/IMG][/URL]

The bow rope is the hardest part to figure out but you already have that it looks like.

Bring it! Bring it! Bring it!...

That looks really nice and the BLBF venue will be a great place to launch it and do the shakedown cruise. The winds are predicted to be perfect for a first cruise - 6kts from the south in the afternoon. Just enough to try things out without overstressing anything and blowing back towards the dock in case you end up adrift.

It doesn't need to be show-worthy, (though I can't see anything wrong with it in the pics). just something that floats.

Bring it! Bring it! Bring it!...

Laszlo

My microBootlegger was showish quality last year. Now it's well scratched. The Shearwater? Well, we'll see if it floats...

Dan

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.