how to refinish/varnish the inside storage compartments 16ft kayak

I built a Cape Charles 16 ft 1n 1995. Exterior deck is original finish and is pristine. However, much of the original varnish on the floor and side walls of the storage compartments has worn or degraded off. With hatch openings only about 10-12 inches how do you clean the surfaces and re-varnish. Is the best option just to pour varnish onto the floor and roll the kayak back and forth?

Any suggestions welcome

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: how to refinish/varnish the inside storage compartments 16ft kayak

Spray the varnish?

I would clean the area with a scotch Brite pad and then wipe clean with denatured alcohol and simply stop there. You do not need to varnish the inside of storage compartments and you really just create a maintenance issue as paint or varnish will break down over time and also becomes a problem if you do need to do a repair. The beat thing is to keep the area clean and ensure when stored and not being used that the compartments are totally dry and or have some air circulation. It was probably moisture that broke down the existing varnish. It really has no place in a closed storage area. H

Best thing.

Thanks for the great advice. This is a big relief to my mental well being and my lower spine.   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.