Peapod mast step question

Has anyone actually steped the mast on the Peapod or noticed this?

The taper point at which the mast and the mast step ( both are square) are equal and the mast should STOP is 7 3/4" from the bottom of the mast. But the top of the mast step is only 4" from the bottom of the boat.

Does the mast sit on the bottom of the boat? In my mind the mast step should stop the mast from protruding any further and not contact the bottom.

confused

Dean

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peapod mast step question

Dean, I have not gotten to this stage yet but am interested in learning if you get an answer.

Jose

Hi Jose

I called CLC and they told me that the mast does sit on the bottom of the boat and that all their designs have always been that way. The bottom is covered with multiple layers of fiberglass sheets and is plenty strong. Wedging the mast into the mast step is not a good idea and some movement is normal. Some people do add a leather to the bottom of the mast or where it passes thru the seat. So... there you go.

I plan to glue a sacrifical piece to the bottom of the boat contoured to fit. Just my piece of mind... no good reason. 

The mast is complete after many days of manual planning. I started to cut the mast wedges off with the band saw but it seemed to get away from me so I went old school. It allowed me to control the line much better and I'm glad I did. Beautiful grain on the (spruce?). Varnish only and it should really stand out. 

Best of luck on your boat. Keep us posted

Dean

Thank you Dean. I think I will do the same. Leather at collar and some support at the bottom where it meets the hull.

The prospect of "many days" of manual planning is daunting.

It was very rewarding to plane the mast by had. It did take longer but I'm really pleased with the results. On to the boom and the yard.

Dean

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.