Trim Mill Creek 16.5 deck upside down?

I'm waiting for epoxy to cure after nailing my Mill Creek 16.5 decks on and I turned the boat upside down after nailing to allow epoxy to flow by gravity into the hull to deck joint just in case my planing of the sheer clamps wasn't perfect. It occured to me that it might be easier to trim the decks with the boat upside down rather than flipping it over and marking the trim line and then trimming from the top, stopping every once in a while (in my case, every other saw stroke) to make sure the saw is not cutting into the hull. Anyone see a problem doing it this way? For the inner trimming along the carlins I'll have to have the boat right side up of course. Jusr seems to me that having the hull always visible as I cut there will be less of a chance of gouging the hull accidentally.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Trim Mill Creek 16.5 deck upside down?

i don't see a problem with that. 

i have done the same with chesapeake kayaks which have the same kind of deck construction.   

i think its very smart to position pieces and work in a way that gives you visibility and helps avoid the, "i can't believe i just did that!",  kind of mistakes.

my only other tip is i would still cut a little proud of the final line and use a block plane or a sanding block with 80 grit to bring it to its final position.

some saw blades will flex and drift a bit so unless i know the material very well,  i like cutting a bit proud and making the final trim with something that i have a lot of control over.

hope that helps

h

Thanks h - 

It is my intent to cut close to the joint but leave a little bit to clean up with a plane and/or a sanding block, probably both. I just wanted to be sure I wasn't overlooking something that would make upside down trimming unworkable. When I built my Chesapeake 17 and my Sport Tandem I trimmed the decks with the boats right side up - so it's only taken me two boats worth of practice to come up with an idea that seems obvious now - I never claimed to be a quick study - 

John

Hi John, 

the only thing i would share, in addition to what i put above, is that when you work with it turned over, the blade cutting into or needing to work around your saw horse or whatever you are using to support the boat is increased.

but cutting into a sawhorse is a lot less painful then cutting into your hull :)

h

I did trim the outer edge of the deck with the boat upside down - worked great. Started with a pull saw, finished with a block plane and sanding block. Now on to fiberglassing the deck.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.