Enough Epoxy/Graphite on Rubstrip?

Just looking for advice about my rubstrips.  I've put three coats of epoxy/graphite mix on them after sticking the fabric down with plain epoxy originally.  I think they look pretty good, but I can still see some of the fabric weave. -- So I'm wondering if I have enough epoxy/graphite applied to them.

I'm going to try to attach some photos, but that hasn't always been easy for me, so bear with me.

Thanks,

Dave.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/192908249@N04/shares/Tw2Na7

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Enough Epoxy/Graphite on Rubstrip?

Not sure that other link worked... maybe this will?

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/u0840l7myvot6er/AAAx1HZgle3uPDkYgdepD-Q6a?dl=0

Dave.

Hi Dave, 

i looked at your pictures.  yes, you need to add more graphite/epoxy in order to fill the weave.

like you, i will start my rubstrips pulling them tight and focusing on attaching and initial trimming.  once i have that, i will then remask and come in with an almost mayonaise consistency graphite epoxy mixture (lots of graphite to epoxy).  i will then spread it on top of the dynel with a mixing stick or little spreader that i will make.  once it hardens, i then sand it smooth  and all the weave is filled in one step.

hope that helps

h

Hi -- thanks for the advice.  For sure I can add more epoxy/graphite.  By the sound of what you are describing I didn't have enough graphite in the mix, mine was more of a thick mustard, but still runny.

I will have to remask, which is not a problem -- will it be a problem if I wait 36hrs between these last coats and a last thicker coat - or should I sand inbetween for adheision?

Also - you mention you sand the strip after the epoxy dries (before varnish) -- is it the varnish that then returns the "shine" to the black of the strip?

Thanks again,

Dave.

not a problem to wait 36 hours.  you can rough it up with a scotch-brite pad if you want, but it's not necessary....there are enough surface irregularities (e.g., the weave) that it will bond just fine.

on the "shine"  you mention, that's a personal/aesthetic perspective.   i leave mine flat black which is how it will look after sanding.  you can make it shine by varnishing over it or painting it with clear epoxy.  fwiw, i avoid varnishing any part of a boat that i plan to repair/re-epoxy becuase epoxy won't bond properly to varnish.  i put rubstrips in that category of "plan to repair".  typically, at the end of the season, i will evaluate how the strip is holding up.  if it got used a lot,  i will retape them, and build the strip back up to be ready for the next season.

h

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.