How much epoxy needed for fiberglassing?

Now that the weather is cooperating, I am getting back to my Skerry, and I am about to start fiberglassing. Due to yet another truly bizarre newbie mistake, I managed to puncture the container of resin and had to discard it. Two containers each (resin, hardener) were included with the kit, so I have another container, which I have used very little of, finishing up the gluing.

So my question is this: how much epoxy do I need to do the fiberglassing. I estimate that the container I destroyed was about 1/2 full. Do I need to buy more?

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How much epoxy needed for fiberglassing?

Probably.

The company figures that they have included enough for a reasonably skilled person to finish the boat.  Us , you and me, on the other hand make enough mistakes that we, or at least me, have always had to order more epoxy.  I now just keep extra epoxy and hardner on hand. 

like grumpy, i agree that you should just go ahead and buy the eqivelent to what you lost if you can.  there are different size containers....so you may be able to save money if you don't have to buy the the full size container of what you lost half of.

as grumpy points out, until you have some practice, you will waste a bit and CLC assumes that and gives you reasonable margins.    it's actually pretty amazing how little you can use if you really have your process down tight.   after a lot of boats and practice,  i think i am down to only using in the neighborhood of 60 to 70% of what is supplied on a kit.

h

Missed seeing this thread until now so I'll chime in with a RoT of 1oz mixed epoxy (resin + proper amount of hardener) for each 1.4 sq. ft. of 6 oz. cloth, .85 sq. ft. of 4 oz. cloth.

But (as others have said) I keep 'extra' on hand for my current project as well as some to use for the stuff I think I might be able to use it for besides the current project.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.