How to remove excessive epoxy fillets

I acquired a passagemaker that is about 97% finished. The original epoxy fillets are extremely excessive and rough. Is the best way to remove or smoothing these out with a hair dryer or heat gun.. and a scrapper? Thanks Ron 2 clc 17 kayaks

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: How to remove excessive epoxy fillets

FWIW: I acquired a sad looking, abused Skerry that I'm redoing with "excessive" fillets as you put it. From grinding with a dremel, to using a rasp, to heat gun and scraper, I didn't like any of it.

My method has been a sharp chisel and a hammer and brute force. I did this on all the fillets around the bow, center and stern seats. It was a quick job, not dust or nasty heated epoxy fumes, but lots of chuncks flying off, everyehere. carbide scraper for tiny left residues. I wouldn't use that on lapjoints, especially if you will finish bright.

I, then cut most of the old seats, leaving but a 1 1/2" and put a new seat on top with fresh new fillets of my liking.

I removed the bow and stern water damaged breasthooks with a japanese saw, cutting through the wood flour/epoxy fillets along with the wood. Planed the whole deal and replaced with new breasthooks.

RE: How to remove excessive epoxy fillets

FWIW: I acquired a sad looking, abused Skerry that I'm redoing with "excessive" fillets as you put it. From grinding with a dremel, to using a rasp, to heat gun and scraper, I didn't like any of it.

My method has been a sharp chisel and a hammer and brute force. I did this on all the fillets around the bow, center and stern seats. It was a quick job, not dust or nasty heated epoxy fumes, but lots of chuncks flying off, everyehere. carbide scraper for tiny left residues. I wouldn't use that on lapjoints, especially if you will finish bright.

I, then cut most of the old seats, leaving but a 1 1/2" and put a new seat on top with fresh new fillets of my liking.

I removed the bow and stern water damaged breasthooks with a japanese saw, cutting through the wood flour/epoxy fillets along with the wood. Planed the whole deal and replaced with new breasthooks.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.