my Skerry scale model

Hi all,

I wanted to share a couple of photos of the scale model I recently finished. I learned a lot from doing this, and it looks great in the living room. :-D

I wanted to paint all the plywood inside and out, and varnish only the solid wood. TBH, I'm not a big fan of the Skerry images with the entire inside varnished. My better half convinced me not to paint the inside. I don't regret not painting the inside. I like the contrast between the darker structural plywood and the lighter hull panels. I wonder if that plays out in the full scale kit.

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: my Skerry scale model

>> I like the contrast between the darker structural plywood and the lighter hull panels. I wonder if that plays out in the full scale kit.

That depends entirely on the luck of the draw  with the individual pieces of wood in the kit. Usually they're a pretty close match, sometimes they're quite obviously not.

If you want a consistent color and guaranteed contrast of the sort on your pictures, there's always stains.

CLC sells epoxy-compatible stains. There's also a tutorial by Nick Schade on how to use them in the Shop Tips section.

And you're right, that is a nice effect in your very well done and photographed model. Doesn't it suck that you can't just put it into an enlarger?

Laszlo

RE: my Skerry scale model

Thanks for the stain tips and encouragement, Laszio.

The possibility of digitizing a model and "printing it out" is tempting, I admit. However, I wouldn't want to enlarge all the mistakes. I hope to put those mistakes to use some day. :)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.