Peeler Skiff - Yamaha Remote Control for Center Console

I just purchased a 2005 Yamaha 15 hp (private Sale) for my Peeler Skiff which is still under construction.  The Yamaha is configured for remote control so I can build the center console.  The Yamaha Standard Side Mount control is meant to be mounted to the starboard side of the boat.  If using a Center console you would have to mount to the port side of the Console.  Wouldn't help given my tendency to be dyslexic.  Does anyone know if the control can be converted to mount on the Starboad side of the console?  Is there an aftermarked control that could be used?

Thanks.

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff - Yamaha Remote Control for Center Console

You need to read this again. If I caught it right what you bought  comes starboard configured and you are asking if it can be mounted starboard. 

Just modify the boat so it can be mounted starboard side.   

Grumpy, I think what he is saying is that they are normally mounted to the starboard coaming which would put the control mounting surface on the right side of the box. To mount on the starboard side of a center console, the mountiing surface needs to be on the left side of the box.

PGausden, on some of the boxes I've seen, the handle can be taken off and re-installed on the oposite side of the control to do what you want, not sure if yours has that capability

PGausden,

I'm not sure I understand your problem. My Peeler has a 9.9 hp Yamaha and the standard Yamaha throttle and shifter mount on the starboard side of my center console. The picture doesn't show the controls that clearly, but you can see the xables feeding in from starboard.

Cheers,

Dick

Looks like a starboard power lever location to me in this pic............

https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/powerboats/peeler-outboard-power-skiff.html

Looks like you can change the hadle from side to side . Page 8 in the manual

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1702833/Yamaha-703.html?page=8#manual

In 2008 I repowered my Nimble Arctic with a 2007 model Yamaha 9.9HT.  If I remember correctly, the 9.9 and 15 were nearly identical in that era.  At the time, Yamaha had a kit for their motors that would use of the standard morse control cables.  With the standard cables, you can use basically any control quadrant.

If it's a 2005 I expect the handle can be switched to the other side. I have a yamaha that I think is about 2003, and the lever can be switched for mounting on the stbd side of the console.

BUT, if you have power trim/tilt, controls of that era will then have the PTT switch  on the wrong side (stbd side), where your pinkie would have to operate it rather than your thumb.

The newest Yamaha control box allows you to switch that to the other side, too.

IOW, you can mount the box on the stbd side of the console, switch the handle to the stbd side, and reverse the PTT switch to the port side of the handle.But follow the instructions carefully!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.