Peeler Skiff - epoxy the Rabbet?

The manual doesn't provide any information about coating the rabbet around the bottom of the Peeler where the sides will fit into.  I would think this should get a coat of epoxy to protect the bare wood before the sides are stitched on.   Can anyone provide some guidance on how to proceed?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Peeler Skiff - epoxy the Rabbet?

Don't epoxy the rabbet.  There will be a fillet all the way around the side/bottom interface inside the boat and three layers of fiberglass over the outside so it will be plenty water tight. 

Scott

Scott, thanks for your reply.  Time to move on to assembling the boat.

Cheers.

It may be a sort of belt and suspenders thing but I generally brush on unthicken epoxy in the area I am applying filets or tape to insure that there is good penetration of epoxy into the wood and the joint is not "starved" for epoxy. I do this as part of the fileting/taping so that the epoxy has not cured yet.

I found with the large filets on the Peeler it was best to start with smaller beads of goo worked into the joints to prevent voids. This helps peace of mind when going against a chop with a hundred plus pound outboard churning away on the transom.

A heads up. When joining the bottom to the sides of the Peeler, it is helpful to have the bottom assembly supported at the ends only. This causes the bottom to sag a bit which makes it easier to stitch to the side panels.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.