Shearwater 17 For Sale

After several extended paddles, I've reached the conclusion that I have to sell my Shearwater 17 S&G. This kills me because I love the way this boat performs. It's fast, tracks beautifully and steers easily. I'm an experienced boatbuilder and built it well from a CLC kit. It's perfectly fair, symetrical and rugged. Total weight, fully equipped is 46 pounds. Unfortunately, it just isn't big enough for me. At 6'4" and 200 pounds, I can squeeze into it, but have absolutely no wiggle room for my legs and feet, so end up with muscle cramps after an hour or two. Located on Cape Cod. Will sell for my out of pocket cost of $1500 plus delivery. Pictures and construction notes can be found at http://twofootartist.com/shearwater-construction-notes/ 

Wes Ewell 508-564-6844

10 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Shearwater 17 For Sale

Sorry to hear the misfortune.  It does look like a great boat.  I am 6' 4" also and have troubles with my CLC 18.  Due to the length of my legs I find it very difficult to get out of it.  At a beach I just fall over and crawl out.  When I get time I will cut out the cockpit for a few more inches.  CLC should make a listing on leg size on these things. 

Kim

Rats! That's one of the boats I was looking at for more room. Also looking at a Redfish Spring Run L. I sent John an email asking if he would consider producing a Shearwater 18 but no response yet. I have to put one leg in ahead of the other and am concerned about my ability to make a quick wet exit if I roll.

Well Wes, I am truely sorry to hear that you have to part with one of your own.  I know it is Heart Breaking when you do, and I have way too many times.  I am a bigger around than you but have the same problems at 6'1" 250# and mostly leg.  I even have problems with car seats going back far enough for me. LOL  Before I started building yaks, I went thru 20 some odd composite yaks till I found the one.  And after 3 years it is the only yak that I can sit for more than 4 hours without agony.

When I finish the present build I am on, I too am looking at doing a Spring Run L.  I already have everything for it.  But my previous build which was a Guillemot L is an awesome yak!  You may want to look at it?  Not only was it my 2nd build, but I am pretty sure it will be my 6th and for me!

KK

http://kayakkev.wordpress.com/

Bad luck, TFA - I can imagine it hurts like hell.  

I have a somewhat similar issue, although at a more modest 5'9" or so its not related to my height, but like MrK I too have had difficulty getting out of (and into) a conventional cockpit.   My issue is inflexible lower limbs, due to me being an Ancient Mariner (70yo), plus a medical condition that gives me nil feeling in these lower limbs.   I also felt somewhat restricted and quite fearful of being able to get out if the craft capsized!

My solution when building the Ches 17LT recently was simply to extend the length of the cockpit forward by 3".   This made it so much easier for me to enter and exit, despite my infirmities!  I am now nearing completion of my own S&G Shearwater 17, and have again lengthened the cockpit by 3", and also this time widened it a little at the front, too, just to help getting my feet out without having to engage in contortions.

Neither of these mods have, in my view, spoiled the appearance of either  craft - the enlarged cockpits harmonise well with the original lines. 

Hope you find a quick and appreciative buyer!

Wordsmith 

There is a proper place for these advertisements farther along down the page, homebuilt boat bazaar.

Last night I visited Eric Schade's website and learned that the CLC Shearwaters are basically the same as his Mergansers, but with a modified deck on the S&G version. I also learned that he offers plans, kits and finished Mergansers in six sizes, the three that CLC offers plus a 17 that's an inch wider and big enough for a person 6'6" and 250 pounds. He also has two 18' versions, one of which has a MINIMUM paddler weight of 250 pounds! He had one of his Merganser hybrids in dark mahogany at the Maine Boatbuilders Show this year and it was simply stunning. I would urge CLC to consider us bigger (and older) guys and bring on some larger versions of the Shearwater. To Kayak Kev, I've been watching your website and waiting for you to get to the Spring Run. You inspired my own website. To Wordsmith, I considered cutting off the thigh braces, but decided to sell instead. I enjoy building kayaks as much as I enjoy paddling them. And to Fishbuster, I did list this boat on the homebuilt bazaar, but thought it might reach others on this site. Thanks for all of your comments. -Wes

The Waters Dancing web site ( http://www.watersdancing.com ) lists their cockpit opening as 18.75" X 34.25" but I have never seen one of their kayaks. I think your cockpit opening is !16.375" X 31". Pygmy boats aremostly listed as 17" X 33".

Then there are the rec kayaks like the Wood Duck- which I have, Mill Creek, Pygmy Piguino Sport (anone try that out yet?)

Back in your pram, Fishy!   If the CLC moderator allowed Wes's note to be placed here why should it be an issue?   I think the tone of the other responses show that Wes had a sympathetic audience and nobody took offence.  

As I see it he was explaining the problems that lead to him having to abandon the SW, not simply exposing it for sale.   In turn, this has given rise to several useful and informative suggestions about more accommodating designs that may help others avoid a similar sad situation in future.   Therefore, maybe not a win: win for Wes, but certainly for others.

Wordsmith

Hear, Hear Wordy!  I didn't even see it as a "For Sale" ad, I saw it as a problem for large paddlers.  I know  when I first started kayaking I would walk in an outfitter and get ignored.  Now I paddle with some of the best paddlers in the world in some of the trickiest waters around.  And like Wes, I went thru 20 some odd composite yaks till I found my "Gator" (Atlantis Titan) and I will probabally go thru that many Wood yaks till I find THE ONE... which right now has to be the Guillemot L with a good seat.

Hey Wes, send me a link to your page and I will post it on mine.  Email me at [email protected]   Delivery on the King is set for the first week of Aug, then I will start the Spring Run L.  Got any good design thoughts?

KK

After serious reflection over the weekend, I've decided to modify my Shearwater 17 so I can continue to use it while I build a Merganser 17W, Eric Schade's higher volume version of this basic design. I intend to fit a foam foot pad against the forward bulkhead so I'll have a more comfortable foot position, cut off the thigh tabs so I can get both legs in and out of the boat at the same time, and to install a new and larger seat pad an inch farther aft in the cockpit. The Merganser will have a strip deck, introducing me to that technique, which I expect to use to eventually build an all-strip kayak. Thanks to everyone for your ideas and support. -Wes

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.