very small batches of epoxy

Do you guys have any tricks for how to measure very small amounts of epoxy (less than one pump)? Let's say I need to touch one small spot... it feels wrong to waster the entire pump-full.

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: very small batches of epoxy

Graduated mixing cups might work if you can find one small enough. CLC sells a 6 oz, but it comes in a multipack. Resin crafters often mix smaller amounts for jewlery and some suppliers sell these tiny cups: https://shop.resinobsession.com/collections/tools-and-supplies/products/1-ounce-reusable-plastic-mixing-cups

Which look a lot like the ones that come on liquid medicines!

i use cheap plastic tea spoons (like for a kids picnic).  one flat teaspoon of hardener....two teaspoons of resin.  i mix it vigorously in a little platic cup. 

its defnitely less than a pump....i also make sure the hardener and resin are warm so the material is thinner/more liquidy which helps get a good mix and easier to monitor the poor.

i am always very careful not to waste epoxy and i find this is a good technique to, as you say, do a little touch up without making a bigger batch.

h

kmmccarthy wrote >> Which look a lot like the ones that come on liquid medicines!

I actually use the ones that come on liquid medicines. They work very well. I can routinely mix much less than an ounce. The only problem is that this year, with all the COVID lockdowns, no-one's had a cold at our house so my supply is really low. That link will be useful, thanks. Though I suspect that I won't be taking them up on their offer of 4 interest-free payments of fifty cents each :-)

Laszlo

I bought these on Amazon.  They work great for small batches.

12ml syringes will give you very good control. One for Resin, one for Hardener. Remove the plunger and pinch syringe between thumb and index finger and mash pinky finger over the “needle” end. Pour X Hardener in one then Xx2 in the other. Keep them segregated, if you overfill you can let them drip back into their respective containers. Also keeping them segregated will let you go a long while without cleaning them. For small batches I add resin to hardener, feel like it’s easier to get a good mix that way.
Downside is the containers need to be small or partially empty, it’s darn hard to pour 6ml from a full gallon jug.  As mentioned pre-warmed goo pours easier

Dang, posted too soon.

Put the plunger back in and mash 'em down into your mixing cup. The plungers will completly evacuate the syringe, conserving goo and helping ensure an accurate ratio. It's really important to get the ratio right in these small batches. 

I keep small projects that need a little epoxy around the shop to use up the excess little bits. 

On the boat..........sometimes if it is a little bit it is also minor and can wait till there is more little things to fix. 

I use a little 0.1 gram scale. I make mixes of 4 gm or less for tiny jobs. Sawed off Rx bottles work well for mixing.

I bought a sleeve of little plastic medicine cups (about the size of a shot glass) from CVS or one of the other big chains.  Used small metal measuring spoons to get the mix.

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.