Glassing bottom of LT Peapod

My next step in building the Lighthouse Tender Peapod is glassing the bottom of the hull.  I've never done a glass job of this size and have some concerns about keeping everything in place as I wet out the cloth.  In looking at the construction gallery photos, it looks like once they got the cloth smoothed out and cut to shape, they tacked it down to the flat where strake 5 overlaps strake 4 but they don't mention that in the manual. Should I do that with CA right on top of the filler?  And when should I trim off the excess cloth?  The manual says after curing, but it seems that it would be easier when it gells as was done when glassing the interior.  

Any advice would be much appreciated

Bert

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Glassing bottom of LT Peapod

I did it with no tacking or masking. Just laying the fiberglass smoothly over the hull and rtimming it just so it extends past panel 4 into 5. I tried to be careful not to let the epoxy run down and bunch up at that joint on top of the fillet, which is a natual collection point. 

In my case I actually glassed over the fillet, and cut outside of that. I am not sure this is correct but it worked for me this time. I am curious to see how others have done it. 

Cutting the fiberglass on the outside of the joint was not a problem at all after fully curing.

Jose

Not a CLC bild, but what I did on another was to tape off where I wanted the epoxy to stop, lay out the cloth, then littlle tape pieces to hold cloth in position. When green, I neatly trimed along the duct tape, and peeled that and excess cloth back. Nice straight edge to fair then.

After trimming and pealing tape

Thanks for the input.  I've put in too much work filling the gap and squaring the bottom of 5 strake to run the glass over that joint. I masked the bottom of strake 5 and wrapped it up the side. So I should be able to glass to the very top of 4 and cut the excess glass right where 4 and 5 meet.  

I have the glass on my Peapod waiting on a warm day. I plan to do it the same as Jose described. Unlike the interior; the glass will be exposed on both sides and will be easier to trim I believe. 

Dean

I just glassed the bottom of my passage-maker using fiberglass tape. It worked really well. You need to do a plank at a time.  At the plank lap I used wood flour paste to create a fillet like they show in the manual with a curve. I rounded the edge of the plank slightly so the glass laid smoothly over the lap and fillet. Fiberglass tape comes in 8 and 12 inch widths the edges are stitched so there is no fiberglass stands to deal with makes it a cleaner job. Roll out the tape and cut it to length make it long enough to over lap a inch or so. Roll the glass up into a tube.At the top of the garboard I brushed some epoxy about 3/4 of an inch passed the lap and waited until it started to gel. Then roll the plank with epoxy. Unroll the glass along the plank and press it into the epoxy at the lap this will help hold it in place while you smooth it down with your hands. You may have to cut darts to get it lay depending on the curvature of the plank. I lapped the glass over the end of the plank. Once you get the glass in place roll epoxy to fill the weave. Be careful not create wrinkles you as work out the trapped air bubbles. Squaring the plank fillets will cause you problems getting the glass to lay nicely a curved fillet will work much better.

​​

Wow I was click-baited. I thought CLC had designed a boat with a transparent floor for viewing underwater fishies and corals and whatnot.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.