Brass half-oval for rubbing/grounding strake on Eastport pram?

Wondering if anyone has used CLC's brass half-oval as a rubbing/grounding strake on an Eastport pram or other boat.  Seems to me like my pram's skeg and skids could use a bit more protection as I'll be launching and landing her on rocky shores.

And, if anyone has used these on a bottom, two additional questions:

1) Do you bed the strip with an adhesive (in addition to the wood screws)?

2) How far apart do you space the screws on the strip?

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Roger

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Brass half-oval for rubbing/grounding strake on Eastport pram?

I felt the same way too, especially with how harsh our beaches are in the PNW.  I've built two CLC boats (EP & PM) and on both, I bought the appropriate 3/4" stainless rub strake from West Marine and bent it around the edge of the skeg, drill/fill/drill and screwed it in place.  Works like a champ...

I used the CLC brass 1/2 oval on the skeg for my Brand X sailing dinghy. Since it's brass, I was able to use my woodworking tools to drill and countersink screw holes on the brass so it's a flush installation.  

I put my screws every 12 inches (30 cm for the rest of the world) along the bottom of the skeg, none on the curve and one at the top of the vertical at the end of the skeg.

Drill, fill, drill as Skully says, but I didn't bed mine in any kind of adhesive because I was thinking about it as a sacrificial piece that I'd need to be able to easily change. Funny thing, after more than 10 years it still doesn't need changing.

Laszlo

I've put some aluminium strip on my EP Pram - haven't finished it yet so I can't say how well it lasts. Holes every 6 inches or so - but make sure you bend it to shape before drilling otherwise it's hard to avoid it just kinking at the drill holes. I did the same on my Wayfarer dinghy with SS strip - no bedding/adhesive and it's lasted fine.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.