Video of cutting my nesting Eastport Pram in half

If the link works, here's a link to a brief (2-minute) time-lapse video on YouTube of cutting my nesting Eastport Pram in half yesterday.  Though I've built quite a few boats over the last 35 years, I never sawed one in half.  As John suggests in the builder's manual, it takes a bit of courage, faith, or something...but all went pretty well.  Thought someone might get a kick out of it.

Roger Lopata

https://youtu.be/1UpG2IDmN0g         

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Video of cutting my nesting Eastport Pram in half

Having built a few boats, that is freaky. I did notice you left the picture often, for another shot of courage?

Thanks for the video,

Joel

Funny, I was thinking the same thing. As they used to say on the "A Team", "I love it when a plan comes together".

...when a plan comes together...and a boat comes apart...cleanly, from the look of it!

.....Michael

Yes, she came apart cleanly (although, at times, at just the very notion of cutting a boat in half, I thought it was me that might come apart!).  There were a few spots where my saw jumped and scratched into the epoxy, but nothing into the wood as far as I can tell, so it should clean up nicely.  Sanded down/cleaned up the two bulkheads today and will lay down a coat of epoxy on each face tomorrow.

Expect that the rest of the build will be somewhat less dramatic -- at least I hope so -- and plan to splash her sometime in the spring.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.