WD12 - Shiny on top, black on the bottom...

...with a wood duck on the side. That's a laser printer/rice paper rendition of the Wood Duck onlay sold by CLC. Once it gets its final varnish, it'll be as dark as the graphite/epoxy mix. Everything is curing & drying right now so I thought I'd post a couple of pictures for everyone's amusement.

Laszlo 

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: WD12 - Shiny on top, black on the bottom...

Nice job Lazlo.  CLC ought to use decoupage for their logo too instead of the decal.  I'm sure they would see lots more on yaks.  I've put the logo on the inside of both of mine.

I don't see the onlay at the onlay page?

ahhhhhhhhhh, I figured it out.

Yes, English is a wonderfully ambiguous language. What I meant to say was that the onlay is sold by CLC and that I made a rice paper rendition of it, not that CLC sold a rice paper version of their onlay.

I actually intended to buy 2 onlay kits and put one on each side of the bow, but they have a brown paper backing, which while making them easier to install, totally prevents them from being reversed. I would have had one duck facing forward, and the other aft. So I went the rice paper route. And now that the bottom is coated, I think that the black line art works better with the graphite/epoxy bottom than the wooden onlay would have.

But that is a good point - CLC could offer rice paper versions of their logo and other graphics, especially now that they're selling surfboard kits. For that matter, I wouldn't be surprised to see rice paper as a CLC product one day. The forum posts asking where to get the stuff are an almost constant background.

Back to the shop, time to put on the second coat of epoxy/graphite mix.

Laszlo

This is one cool duck, Laszlo.  Great finish.

I'm just about to start final sanding so I've got a few weeks to go before it sees the water.  Thanks for all of the posts for us Duck builders - tremendously helpful stuff!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.