Gunter Sloop rigging question

Hello all!  
Hope I don't double post,  people keep ringing my phone while I'm trying to post on the form...work does tend to get in the way sometimes.   Anyways I am about to rig my Skerry with a Gunter Sloop set up I purchased two years ago.  Haha, I started the project almost six years ago.  In the instructions it looks like the Shrouds come down to both sides attaching to the rails and Forestay to the breast hook.  How did y'all attach these to there respective positions?  It looks like they are using two Pad Eye's and I guess two Spring Snap Hooks?  None of the parts have labels for their intends use, and this seems inappropriate even for a small boat.  Not sure how they want the Forestay attached. Curious how others have attached their rig.  If y'all have some close up pics would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!  Any help is appreciated!!!

TK

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Gunter Sloop rigging question

I chose the gunter-sloop rig for my Passagemaker.  I have a hole in the bow transom and padeyes in the top of the bulkheads that are just aft of the mast.  I also doubled those above deck to make it beefier for these attachment points.  I used Dyneema shrouds/forestay and a soft shackle for the bow.

For my Skerry, I through-bolted the shroud padeyes to the gunwales using washers on the under-side to spread the load. I believe that the forestay is intended to run just behind the forward breasthook and attach to the inside of the stem using an eyebolt. I chose to attach it to the top of the breasthook instead using a U-bolt going through the breasthook and backed up with a metal plate on the under-side. As a consequence of this decision, I had to shorten the forstay by a little bit. I also added a turnbuckle so that I could get the tension just right. This probably moved the center of effort a little bit forward, but it is not problematic for me. This was all because I did not want to put an eyebolt through the stem. If you decide to attach it to the breasthook, just take the center of effort and the length of the forestay into account.

Thanks for the input.  I'll let you know how it goes!

To clarify, I meant the bow transom knee...

Ah, yes, you mean that forward crossing bendy thing. (Inspects boat once again from stem to stern in a nautical treasure hunt.)

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.