Skerry build-daggerboard and rudder question

Hello, I inserted the daggerboard in my workshop and it literally went completely through the hull?  Is this by design?  Should I thicken the board?  I know it's better loose than stuck.  My concern lies in "loose doesn't mean lost".  

I messed up the ratios of the epoxy when doing the inside cheek of the rudder structure.  I took off what was bad but now have an uneven application of fiberglass,  I've read this is a notoriously tight fit.  Will adding another fiberglass layer screw the clearance up beyond repair?  

Thank you.  

5 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Skerry build-daggerboard and rudder question

It went all the way through the trunk slot?  That doesn't sound right. Do you have any pics?

I don't have a photo presently - the board went all way through out the bottom.  Built this in a skerry class last year at the mothership.  I will say I didn't cut the hole.  I'm wondering if I epoxied a dowel on the top end would this be enough to retain it.  

hi fred, 

daggerboards should not fall through trunks.

in the skerry, daggerboards have at the top around the handle, a doubler, (a piece of wood on each side of the daggerboard) which makes it wider than the trunk hole such that the daggerboard should not be able to simply fall through.   so the 'blade' should fit into the trunk but the handle shouldn't.  i don't have plans but pictures number 37, 57 and 119 in the main gallery on the skerry page clearly show this.

the link for the skerry site is here:  https://www.clcboats.com/shop/boats/wooden-sailboat-kits/skerry-rowing-sailing-dinghy-kit.html#line_drawings

the link for picture 37 is here:

https://www.clcboats.com/images/photos/boats/skerry/2018/skerry-skerrykat--bill-black--john-g--mark-b--michael_el-cajon-ca.jpg   

so if it fell through, its becuase you didn't have this doubler or you somehow created a trunk that was too wide.

hope that helps

h

Thanks H-you're correct.  I missed the step about building up the handle.  My screw up.  

don't be hard on yourself.  just learning as i see it.

have to try a lot harder to earn your way into screw-up territory :)

that said, i admire your candor.

h   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.