Bubble in Fiberglass

Back on here again, this time for some advice with fiberglass. Yesterday I glassed the inner hull and it looked great when I was done, but this afternoon I realized there is a fairly large (6inch by 2 inch) bubble under the glass near the aft bulbhead along the bottom panel/side panel seam. Should I drill through the glass enough to fill with thickened epoxy? Just put another layer of epoxy on?

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Bubble in Fiberglass

You’ll need to post pictures but that sized bubble/defect will never fill. You will need to cut out the fiberglass bubble, sand and lay down a fiberglass patch.  Then fill and sand.    Adherence of the glass to the wood gives you strength.  I’m sure others will give their opinions too.

skeeter's got it right. 

you may not have to 'cut it out' however.  when i have a bubble like that, i just go over it with a 80 grit sandpaper on a stiff sanding block and that will simultaneously 'cut off the bubble' and prepare the edge for a fibreglass patch that you will lay in there (slightly oversized to overlap the glassed area).  once the patch is in place, again, hit it with 80 grit sandpaper again to fare it in flush with the surrounding glass.

h

Clean the surface under the bubble when you get it uncovered.  I use denatured alcohol (stove fuel).  You likely just didn't squeege it but contamination would be a bad thing.  

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.