Finishing touches on my skerry build

Just wondering how many of you people have drilled a hole in the front of your boat for a pull rope , my plans call for it, and call it a painter, maybe because I'll need to paint the hole... idk. Originally thought about a brass or copper ring or halflink so to speak screwed to the Brest plate. Thanks. Jim

9 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Finishing touches on my skerry build

I used a nice bronze bow eye the Duckworks sells for ~$20 (Buck Algonquin Bronze Bow Eye - Duckworks Boat Builders Supply).  Whatever you do, make sure that you consider the height of your winch stand if your trailer has one.

Jim below you will find a link to a picture of the brass fitting that I used on my Sherry.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6A2ftWeQUQomDaFLA   

Oops!  Skerry not Sherry

Surely a ring will work, and I just saw that CLC added a bronze ring to their stock of things for sale.  If using a brass or copper ring (I'm envisioning a round ring here, attached loosely under a strap eye screwed to the boat), remember that brass it is not nearly as strong as bronze, and (in the words of Monty Python - copper is "right out" for this application).  I've had an under-sized brass rings elongate under load.

And in any case, remember that the ring will rattle and flop about (and wear on the boat's finish), which leads me to strongly recommend the option of some sort of cleat or cleat/chock, or bow eye arrangement, whether up on the breasthook or down on the stem - as noted by Mark N just previous.  If being used for trailering or anchoring (as opposed to simply tying up to the dock), the bow eye on the stem (as pictured above) is probably the best option. 

And with all this said, I definitely recommend always having a painter rigged on a small boat.  Almost a necessity for any type of proper seamanship operation.

And I forgot to mention, absolutely nothing wrong with the cheap, secure, and rattle free option of the drilled hole, per plans.  Just be sure to get a good coating of epoxy into the hole after drilling.  If whatever you use a a rope loop or painter or anchor line starts to wear/chaffe, just replace it or hack off a foot.

I believe hardware is the right way, the bow eye to be exact. I'll have the boat on the trailer to see just where it needs to be. Thanks again gentlemen, jim

On the principle that "less is more" I use no bow eye or cleat but simply tie my painter to the mast with a bowline.   

I used a 4' piece of 3/8" line to make two attachment loops. Feed it through the hole and tie a figure-8 on a loop to the inside. Tie a second figure-8 on a loop to the outside. Now you have two sturdy loops that won't harm the finish of your boat. You can tie or clip anyting you want to these loops -- a painter for docking, an anchor line, a secured bailing bucket/storage container, etc.

Just a simple D ring on my boat.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.