Need help

I'm currently building a Wood Duck 14 hybrid. I have a couple of areas that have dark colored blemishes after some sanding. Have I sanded through a layer of plywood ? If I have, is there anything I need to do to those areas?  See link below for pics of affected areas.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/190778750@N08/shares/8ua8Ld

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Need help

Yes you have. It's no tragedy, though, unless you really have your heart set on a varnished finish. For both of the areas, be sure to seal it well with epoxy and sand it smooth before applying the exterior glass. There's a fair bit of exposed grain that will suck up water, but the epoxy seal coat will take care of that. The outer glass will replace the strength provided by the missing wood, so structurally you'll be fine.

Painting the bottom black (or coating it with graphite/epoxy mix will fix this one so that it will look as if you meant to do that. Here's my WD12 and it turned out very well.

You can see the same kind of oversanding at the bow that you have.

Blemishes covered by graphite/epoxy, which also protects the bottom from gouges. This happens after the outer glass has been applied.

This will need some kind of paint, onlay, decal or some other covering. Express your creativity.

The boat will be fine, it can still look like a prizewinner and it will last you many years.

Have fun,

Laszlo

Hi Laszlo, 

Thank you for the quick reply ! Your project looks awesome. I appreciate your advice.

Stimpose

Yeah, paint--oh blessed paint, which covers a boatwright's frailty!--is your friend here.  Hey, it's a boat, not a Martin guitar.  Well, heck, sometimes they paint those, too.  <;-)

.....Michael

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.