Chesapeake 16 & 16LT Finally Getting Started

After a road trip from Dallas to Houston to pick up wood I'm finally getting started with my 16 and 16LT builds for myself and my daughter.  I CNC cut the parts this weekend!

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Chesapeake 16 & 16LT Finally Getting Started

YOU cut your own cnc'd parts? Working from plans?

You must have a pretty well-equipped shop you can access, or you do this kind of thing for a living?

Design firm I worked with for nearly 15 years in Chicago had one after about 2002 for building sales center displays & trade show stuff. I never had full accesd to it or I might have built a boat a lot sooner....

RE: Chesapeake 16 & 16LT Finally Getting Started

@spclark:

Yup!  I belong to an outfit called Dallas Makerspace.  It's a non-profit shared community workshop in 33,000 square feet (about a third the size of a Home Depot).  Best $60 I spend every month.  Among other things, we have a 5x10' Multicam CNC router.  I'm sort of one of the subject-matter experts on it, though I'm far from a real expert.  I'm getting ready to put a 5x5' machine in at home.

Digitizing the Chesapeake plans was frankly sort of trivial (took a couple of hours), though the puzzle joints took some thought and a helpful hint from another guy who designed his own boat.  The absolute hardest part was *where* to put the joints so the joints in the hull and side panels would line up and flow into each other - AND fit them both on 4x8' material.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.