Deciding on my first build

I will be retiring soon and have promised myself a CLC kayak kit as a reward.  I have been looking at the Chesapeake 18, the Shearwater 17, the Wood Duck 14, and the Sea Island Sport.  I am on the hefty side, so I need something with capacity.  WE live in Richmond, so much of the use will be on flatwater on teh James River, but we get to the Outer Banks most years as well.  I'd love advice about the degree of difficulty for any of these boats for a firsst time builder as well as any advice on performance.  Many thanks.

3 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Deciding on my first build

The Sea Island Sport has one disadvantage for hefty paddlers - if you're big enough the cockpit drain holes end up underwater and the cockpit is always wet. It pretty much depends on the paddler being below the max designed weight for the self-draining cockpit to work. I guess you could try putting stoppers in the holes and only pulling them out when the boat is in a situation where it will drain.

Congrats on the retirement,

Laszlo

i think it all turns around what you mean by 'hefty' and what kind of boat you are looking for.  i think things like flexibility also come into play.

of the boats you mention, the shearwater 17 and chesapeake 18  are classic sea kayaks.  i am 5' 10" weigh 180 lbs and paddle a shearwater 17 and it is like a tailored suit.  it works, its comfortable, but there is not a lot of additional space.  kind of like a sports car/coupe..  i have paddled a chesapeake 18 and it is a much bigger boat and for me would be like being in a big american sedan with plenty of space.     but both boats are traditional sea kayaks with sea kayaks cockpits that are only as big as they are....which for me is big enough.  for both of these boats, i can sit in the boat first with my butt and pull my legs in....a great feature i like.  but if i was substantially taller or bigger, you might not be able to do that, even for the bigger chesapeake 18 becuase the cockpit opening for it is actually not that much bigger than the shearwater.

the wood duck 14 has a huge cockpit and cockpit opening.   but still has a covered deck.   its really roomy.   but its not a traditional sea kayak 

and the sea island sport, of course, is a sit on top....so not a lot of concern about 'fitting'.

if possible see if there is one you can do a test fit on or share here your critical measurements - height, weight, inseam, foot size and you folks would probably be happy to share.

all of these boats are fine for flat water in my view.  the true sea kayaks have additional capabilities and speed if that is important to you.

my view on easy to build for first time builders...i think they all fit in that category except the sea island sport.  one thing to look at, if you have not, is when you look at any one of these boats on the clc website, scroll all the way down to ensure you see CLC's rating of stability, speed, cockpit room, payload and ease of construction.  i think they are reasonably accurate and should be helpful.

h

I''m 5'11", and was 250#.  The C-17 worked fine. It is a little long and lacks much rocker. If you want more handling look to the Shearwater.  The C-18 likely will hold a LOT of camping (read too much) gear.  It likes to go straight.  My C-17 has a design weight of 48. It weighs 62 # without gear. 

First build.......the Cheasapeaks are simple stitch and glue panels with few panels. They make good first boats.   I note the Shearwater has several panels more to get the multi chine boat.  I like it and might build a Shearwater sport.. ...... Maybe later....

The Wood ducks are stitch and glue similar to Cheasapeaks. They are all within the beginner's skill set. 

I'd give the Nike line, "Just do it....." 

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.