Northeaster Dory Kit Build Sawhorse Position

I'm building the Northeaster Dory kit and I have what seems like a silly question.  I'm at the point in the build where I've stitched the hull together and flipped it over so the boat is upside down.  The build guide says "Do the best you can to make sure the hull is sitting level on the sawhorses before you move onto epoxy work".  This seems simple enough but the bottom of the boat has a slight curve to it. 

So my question is how should I place the boat on the saw horses and what portion should I put my level on.  Right now the boat is resting on the sawhorses by the gunwales at the 1st and third thwart positions.

Thanks in advance.

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Northeaster Dory Kit Build Sawhorse Position

If your sawhorses are level with the floor, and if they are perpendicular to the centerline of the hull, and if the gunwales of the boat are touching the top of the sawhorses at equil distance from the bow and stern on each side, then you can assume the hull is sitting as level as possible. If the curve you're talking about is fore and aft the Dory is supposed to have a bit of rocker. Sounds like you're fine.

George K

Thanks George, your suggestion is really helpful.

Another idea, use "winding sticks".  Simply place short, the width of the boat or a bit longer, straight pieces of wood, perpendicular to the centerline, and sight down the length of the boat and make sure they are parallel.  This will make twist obvious.  Adjust sawhorses to eliminate that while it's easy and viola!  

Mike

Levelling the boat is intended to help reduce the amount of thickened epoxy that drips onto your floor as you fill the lapstrake seams. You'll probably get some dripping no matter what you do. So be prepared with plastic or cardboard on the floor. Mix small batches of epoxy paste to discover what thickness works best.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.