Sailing Outer Banks

Any recommendations on smallboat sailing near Cape Hatteras, Pea Island or Ocracoke?  We're planning to take our Skerry on a camping trip and would like to do some rowing and sailing. Thanks. 

7 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sailing Outer Banks

If you aren't locked into the idea of Cape Hatteras for one reason or another, like a particular campground or some such, the area around Cape Lookout National Seashore, Beaufort (NC), Morehead City, Carteret County in general, offers a lot of opprtunities for all sorts of sailing and otherwise messing about in boats, with lots of good launch ramps around.  I've been up to Cape Hatteras on a few occasions, but always by auto/ferry from where we might have been staying down by Cape Lookout.

.....Michael

Considering that there are several places along the Pea Island Wildlife Refuge and also down on Hatteras where a lot of people put in kayaks and also do sailboarding and kite sailing, I'd think you could have some fun with the skerry.  I don't think there are lots of actual ramps, but if you have a couple of people along who are fairly fit, you can just pick up the skerry and walk it into the water.  I know ramps exist at Oregon Inlet and Hatteras Marina if you need to .  Ocracoke also has (or had...been awhile) ramps at Silver Lake harbor in the village.  Don't forget your insect repellent!

That said, keep in mind that while there's a lot of interesting thin water tucked along the shore, Pamlico Sound itself is pretty broad, and in summer, the prevailing southwest wind has a long fetch (miles) so if it breezes up, it can get a bit rough out in the Sound proper.  Bring along a chart if you are going far, and a GPS if you are not good w/ charts and bearings because the low shoreline all starts to look the same once you are a mile or so out, so finding your way back to the takeout can take some attention.

BTW, used to be good flounder and sea trout fishing along some of those shallows.

I want to hear all about this trip!  (with pictures)                                                            

Hooper

Have a look at the NC Coastal Boating Guide here:

https://www.ncwildlife.org/Boating/Boaters-Guides

They used to send printed road map style versions of these for the asking, but, sadly, not any more.  I've found this a great resource for planning our various trailer sailing trips to the NC coast over the years.

.....Michael

Thanks GrampsMummichogHooper for the good inputs.  I had that very map at one time, hopefully the visitor center will have copies but just in case they don't I'll print some off.  We're thinking we may head for Ocracoke via Cedar Island ferry then head north on 12 camping at the National Campgrounds and checking out several sailing spots.  I got a book on kayaking the outerbanks that should be useful.  Mummichog, I'll have a GPS, compass and VHF but we don't plan to venture far from shore, not on this trip.  And for the put-in , I've made a small cart from PVC pipe that works quite well with the Skerry.  Hadn't thought about fising but that's a great idea and I'm going to look into what gear I need.   I'll post a few pics.  Thanks all.

Hi-

Mine is less a response to your question as a friendly add-on to your query.  I've spent several summer rowing south from New York City, destination Cape Hatteras.  I terminated last Summer near Kitty Hawk, quitting prematurely because of Hurricane Isaias.  Next summer (2021), I plan to row from Kitty Hawk to Cape Hatteras in my expedition wherry, about 70 miles.  Will take it not too amitiously, planning 18 miles per day X 4 days.  This is a scholarship/fund raising row.  Two summers ago, had a magical 10 days rowing Chesapeake Bay from north to south, 225 miles.

I'd be happy to hear any suggestions or related thoughts about rowing from Kitty Hawk to Cape Hatteras.  How much should I worry about strong currents around Oregon Inlet??

Thanks!

Jim Nehring, Ayer, MA

Jim, I have an Exp Wherry.  Curious as to if you use a drop in rowing unit, on your long trips, and if so, what kind?  I tried one, for the Wherry, but it seems to take over ther cockpit area, so I prefer to row without it, though you lose a lot of speed. Thanks   

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.