Sailrig akas curve - open canoe

Hi folks,

I am considering the CLC Sailrig for converting my 15 ft open canoe (Old Town) for sailing.  In looking at the CLC design (and most of the comments in this forum) it seems most folks are attaching the rig to kayaks or decked canoes.  As I would be using it on an open canoe, I am wondering about the arch in the middle of the akas and if it is necessary/desirable for my application.  Have any of you attached this design to an open canoe or has anyone modified the aka design to be a single curve from ama to ama?  Is this something that is not worth worrying about?

Jim

2 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Sailrig akas curve - open canoe

RE: Sailrig akas curve - open canoe

I'd think long and hard about how to mount it in general. Consider the fore and aft location. As designed the akas sit 48" apart. So the relationship to your seating?? Currently building for my mill creek 13

I modified that to span the whole cockpit. Looks good just hope it performs well🤔Not impossible but not easy. I'd be leery about mounting without a deck but it is called a canoe/ kayak sailrig so I guess it's possible. Consult CLC for sure first.  Good luck!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.