Thinking of buying the Chesapeake 17, not sure if I'm capable enough

I've been eying the Chesapeake 17 kit for awhile and am close to pulling the trigger.  I wanted to get some advice on whether this is something I should even attempt.  

I don't keep a lot of wood working tools around because, to be honest, I stink at woodworking.  I can cut a straight line using my chop saw, but that's about my limit.  Ask me to cut any angle other than 90 degrees and things get wonky quickly.  But, my strong suit is I can follow detailed directions very well.  Are the instructions detailed enough that a novice like me could follow them?  I've watched many of the videos and they seem pretty high level.  If the instructions aren't more detailed, I'd have problems.  I also notice in the videos that they often have two people working on the build.  I'd essentially have nobody to help.  A neighbor might be available to help me move something, but otherwise this would be a completely solo project.  

So do I sound like somebody who should consider one of the CLC kits, or should I just stick to my fiberglass kayaks?  :)

16 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Thinking of buying the Chesapeake 17, not sure if I'm capable enough

Well, I was always more of a woodwrecker than a woodworker myself.  Never considered building a Passagemaker Dinghy (or any other boat) from plans, but the CLC kit, was almost enough to make me a boatwright.  While I still proved to be more of a boatwrong than a boatwright, at least I have a pretty good looking boat to show for it (several photos of Winkle are in the PMD take_apart gallery) instead of an unidentifiable concretion of wood scraps and epoxy blobs which might be mistaken for an ersatz work of abstract art....  <;-)

You sound like a good kit candidate to me.  The CLC kits are really, really good.  Plus, which, they are currently on sale.  Some would take that as a sign.  If it goes really and and you want to expand your horizons, build your next boat from plans..if you can bear to take time away from messing about in your Chesapeake 17.

Just my 1.039 cents.

.....Michael

Thanks, Michael!  That gives me some confidence.  Still can't guarantee I won't glue on the deck upside down.  

Fortunately, there is no right side or wrong side for the deck until you put the coaming on  :-)

The directions are good - so if you're good at reading/following directions I'm guessing you'll do fine.  That's actually probably more important than being overconfident and thinking you can "figure it out".

I'd say the main thing is don't lock yourself into a strict schedule.  It's tempting to set expectations about when you want to be on the water.  Let that go!  It's done when it's done.  Just take each step as it comes and give it enough thought and attention to do it justice.  Come here and ask questions when you're unsure, or send a note to CLC, and you'll get a lot of advice and reassurance.

There are occassions when a 2nd set of hands is helpful, but the kayaks are pretty managable to build solo.  Again, take your time, don't get frustrated, and you'll manage!

Good luck!  Hope to see your building questions soon

- Bob

Yes, you can definately build a Ch17 as a first build.  A Ch17LT from kit was my first build, and like you I had very minimal carpentry skills but am good at following directions.  Both the kit and the instruction manual are set up for beginners, so all you have to do is follow the directions, be patient, and ask for help if you have doubts.  You will end up with a nice boat.

My one warning is that this can become addictive.  As soon as i finish my bride's SUP, I will be starting kayak #9, plus I built a sailboat.  Not bad for 7 years!

The only other suggestion is to look very closely at the Shearwater 17 instead of the Ch17.  The kit is a generation newer so it will be just a bit easier to build.  I think that it is also a bit better handling than the Ch17.  That being said, the Chesapeake is a great boat.  I would suggest a skeg if you will be paddling in any waves.

The 17 was the first boat i ever built.  i had some basic woodworking experience but following directions and going slow and being willing to learn were more important.

as the previous folks mentioned, if you are slow and careful and not afraid to ask for help, you can get through it.   there are a lot of resources...videos, the manual, clc support and the forum.

also, there is something called the builders club on the site:     https://www.clcboats.com/builders_club/search/   where you can see if there is anybody close by who had built a chesapeake who might be willing to help/coach you through any complex steps.  i have helped some local builders on their first boat when they contacted me and introduced themselves.

from a straight woodworking perspective, mark n, above makes a great point that the shearwater 17 actually has less woodworking (cutting and planing) then a chesapeake.    but they are both great first kits.

h

Thanks for the advice, everyone.  I agree, the Shearwater definitely looks like less work. 

Ordered.  If I somehow glue the coaming on upside down, we're going to have words, Bob.  :D 

which one did you order?   

Shearwater 17

"........  I agree, the Shearwater definitely looks like less work. ........"

Multi-chine? More parts and fitting.  I guess it is in the eye of the beholder. The thing is if you are looking for "less work" buy one already built.  If you want to do it yourself,  just do it.

Above all remember.....SANDING IS FUN, sanding is fun,,,,,,sanding is fun.......sanding is fun. .... 

It's the same amount of work, just different.

I see it as a stretched Wood Duck - sculptural faceted tumblehome on the deck and no sheer clamps to attach the decks. The deck on the CH17 is easier to fabricate but harder to attach, IMO.

I don't really see the extra bottom panel causing that much difference in the amount of work. For me the main difference is having to sand the bevels into the panel ends on the SW and not on the CH. On the other hand, you could just decide the heck with it, glue the ends, putty them and just paint the whole thing. No one will ever know if you beveled it.

The sanding should be the same for each and can be minimized by working clean and catching drips early.

They're both really nice boats, both fun to build and paddle and both will take exactly the same amount of time to build - until they're ready :-)

Laszlo

I am not sure which build will be less work, but I am convinced that from a technical perspective, building the Shearwater (kit) will be easier for a first time builder.  For starters, the Shearwater manual is much better than the Chesapeake manual.  In the Shearwater kit, all holes are predrilled which not only eliminates that work but greatly helps with proper alignment of the panels and bulkheads.  The SW also has internal forms in both the hull and deck which further help hold the correct shape.  Compare that to the Chesapeake which uses just a spreader stick in the hull.  Getting the bulkheads to fit in the Chesapeake is a struggle but not so on tne SW.  As a first time builder, I struggled with getting the shear clamps beveled correctly and hull twist on the Ch17LT.  Those are not issues with the Shearwater.

Ditto Bobs comment about setting a schedule. Take your time

Building boats and deadlines don't mix well. 

Yes absolutely you can do it! Patients and neatness are far more importantl than woodworking experience .I see the shearwater 17 was mentioned and I second the recommendation. In my opinion the boats withe puzzle joints are easier builds . Theyre easier than scarf joints to assemble and all the stitching holes are drilled so the location of bulkheads and such is already determined you don't even need a tape measure. I can't say enough about the shearwaters performance.

Yes absolutely you can do it! Patients and neatness are far more importantl than woodworking experience .I see the shearwater 17 was mentioned and I second the recommendation. In my opinion the boats withe puzzle joints are easier builds . Theyre easier than scarf joints to assemble and all the stitching holes are drilled so the location of bulkheads and such is already determined you don't even need a tape measure. I can't say enough about the shearwaters performance.

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.