Varnishing Chesapeake 17LT....Wet Sand + Thinner Wipe Between Coats?

Hey All,

So I just put on 3rd coat (hull) of my kayak (first-time builder!).  Maybe I should have asked this sooner, but am wondering if I'm doing this correctly (it looks fine to me so far, but the manual doesn't explictly say to do what I'm doing:  which is doing a thinner-wipe-down between varnish coats.

OK, after Sanding with grit 80, then 120, then 220, and vacuuming off dust (w/ brush attachement) off entire boat, this has been what my last 5-days have been for varnishing:

• 1st COAT:
    • Wipe down area to be varnished (HULL) with Thinner per Manual & CLC youtube video.  Would let dry for atleast 45min
    • Wet mop garage floor (to keep area clean)
    • Varnish entire HULL
    • Wait 24hrs & flip kayak
    • Wipe DECK w/ thinner
    • Wet mop floor
    • Varnish entire DECK/COAMING
    • Wait 24hrs & flip
  • 2nd COAT:
    • Wet sand HULL w/ 400grit sand paper
    • Thinner wipe + mop garage floor + wait 45min for thinner to dry
    • Varnish HULL + wait 24hrs & flip
    • Wet sand DECK w/ 400grit sand paper
    • Thinner wipe + mop garage floor + wait 45min 
    • Varnish DECK
  • etc. etc.

The manual only mentions the Thinner-wipe down after the 220grit sanding.  Is it ok if I do a thinner wipe down after 400 grit wet sanding?  After wet sanding the surface is "cloudy"/gray looking, as expected.  I reckon thinner-wipe-down will reduce contaminants.  I have heard contaminants are what you want to avoid when varnishing (hence thinner wipe and mopping the floor).  So my question:

Thinner wipe down:  Does it sound good, overkill, or could it be damaging to the varnish?

Thank you in advance!  (Can't believe the end is in sight!)

4 replies:

« Previous Post       List of Posts       Next Post »

RE: Varnishing Chesapeake 17LT....Wet Sand + Thinner Wipe Between Coats?

I should comment.  I actually really like applying the varnish.  Dealing with epoxy was always stressful for me (esp when it's hot outside & I'm using the Cab-O-Sil!).  Varnishing is definitely more calming...and looks much nicer! :)

If you are careful with your varnish application you can simply rough up with the 400 wetland, clean the surface of dust and recoat. Fwiw I don't use thinner. I just wash my hull off after wetsanding with water and let it air dry before applying the next coat. Less noxious chemicals and works just fine. Keeping the dust down is the most important element in my view and good brush technique is where I focus. But fresh water wash has worked just fine for me and while thinners can be used, the less chemicals in my garage, the better. H

I don't see anything wrong in doing the solvent-wipe prior to each cost you apply. In fact I'm doing much the same thing (sans wet-mopping garage floor!) with the prime then painting of my Waterlust's hull. I'd read of others' using Penetrol for the wet-wipe prior to applying traditional enamels, so I've adopted that practice as well. Seems to help primer & paint in wetting out surfaces once those're being applied....

Only thing I'd do different is wet-mop first, then wet-wipe your C-17.

I'd think the activity of mopping after wet-wiping just might stir up a few dust bits that could end up on your already prepped working surfaces.

@hspira:  Would be nice to cut down on chemicals!  I like just using water to clean (post wet-sand).  Maybe I'll change up to that!  Thanks again!

@spclark:  yeah, perhaps overkill with mopping everytime, but it's easy (and my garage has never been so clean!)  ;)  And good point about the order of mopping/wet-wiping (my reasoning wet-sanding would give me particles [white/gray stuff on surface], and it'd get kicked up), but yeah, mopping floor can definitely be a source of dust kick up too!  Thank you!

« Previous Post     List of Posts     Next Post »

Please login or register to post a reply.